• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement Stove on E35

Fortune

Someone replaced the original stove and oven (probably propane) with a small fridge. I don't really like the fridge, but probably would hate the original stove worse...lol. I really like the new Origo Alcohol stove/ovens but don't want to fall into the trap of spending more on my boat than I could ever recoup. Sounds mercenary but I'm trying to be realistic. This is my dilemma: I don't really know what a propane locker looks like or precisely where it would be located, so I don't know if the boat had one. Is it possible that there was a rail mounted tank? Is that legal? Were there all different configurations? I'm trying to decide what to do, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Tim

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, usually a rail-mount tank easily meets the vent-to-air rule on propane storage.
Where you will still have to spend some serious time and $ is the install of the piping and the electronic sniffer parts.

If you go with the Origo 6000, the stove is your main purchase with no ancillary purchases like the propane range would require.

"Choices and Options" as the saying goes....
:rolleyes:

Speaking of $$, last year I picked up a never-used Origo 6000 on Craigslist for $600. So it can be done...

Best,
LB

Last edited:

Fortune

Thanks Loren,
I'm going to start scouring the landscape. the Origo 6000 is really what I want.
All the extra expense is a major consideration I hadn't thought about. Did you install your Origo and if so are you happy with it ?
Thanks,
Tim

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren,
I'm going to start scouring the landscape. the Origo 6000 is really what I want.
All the extra expense is a major consideration I hadn't thought about. Did you install your Origo and if so are you happy with it ?
Thanks,
Tim

The Origo 6000 was stock on our '88 model. We are very happy with it. There are several other stove-related threads here that a search will turn up.

I did a full propane system install on the prior boat and it took some significant time and money.
The Origo is a simple system with no danger of escaping fire like the old pressure alcohol stoves from the 70's. (I'll almost bet that your boat came from the factory with a pressure alcohol range.)

LB

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I did not think My bill was too bad for propane. The work was not a big deal after the locker was done. In my 35-2 I sealed off the starboard side of the aft lazarette and cut a hatch into the top along side the original. This was by far the hard part as it must be air tight and took about 4 shots at glassing it all in. After that, the vent and plumbing is a snap! I ran 3/8 copper in 1/2 vinyl water hose through the starboard locker and galley cabinet tucked up and out of the way in the back corner. I picked up a remote on Ebay for about $50 and it was simple to plumb and wire. and the rest of the propane plumbing was off the shelf hardware store stuff. A standard #20 lb propane bottle will last me about 3 months as a live aboard running just the stove. There is enough room in the locker to carry a spare #20 horizontally on a rack I made to hold it and a #10 upright (Usable tanks must be upright) that is dedicated to the BBQ. I am currently adding in another line to the main tank for a heater. It was a bunch of work to get started but has made up for itself as time has gone by and I have needed more flammable fuel. Edd:egrin:

HughHarv

Hugh
The Origo 6000 was stock on our '88 model. We are very happy with it. There are several other stove-related threads here that a search will turn up.

I did a full propane system install on the prior boat and it took some significant time and money.
The Origo is a simple system with no danger of escaping fire like the old pressure alcohol stoves from the 70's. (I'll almost bet that your boat came from the factory with a pressure alcohol range.)

LB

Where do you get alcohol fuel......and at what cost?

Emerald

This is one I actually will say go to West Marine for. It's not too expensive - maybe $3-5/gallon - can't remember exactly what it was last time I picked up some.

BTW - FWIW - I have an Origo 6000 with an oven and really like it.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

IIRC, the "Origo stove alcohol" with the blue dye in it at the West Marine was near $30./gallon and is no longer cataloged, and a gallon of denatured alcohol at the hardware store was half that.
I use the cheaper version. :rolleyes:

I note that today, on line, both Defender and West Marine only show generic alcohol at about $17./gallon. (Perhaps no one else was buying the $$ fancy-label and color stuff either.)

A gallon gets us thru a two week vacation...

Sidebar: in doing a quick 'net search on this I found a forum on another sailing site with one person vociferously holding forth about how slow alcohol burners are -- I guess the guy has never been told that a 9000 btu burner puts out 9000 btu no matter what fuel source or energy is making those btu's. Sheesh....)

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm not a fan of alcohol stoves, but before I converted to Kerosene on my previous boat I found a local chemical company that distilled alcohol and supplied it to the local industries. I bought it in 5 gallon cans and it was dirt cheap compared to hardware store gallons. It was also full strength, 190 proof.

I am sure that these chemical companies still exist in every city.

There might be a quart or two left in my last can which I have used for the last twenty or twenty five years. Too bad it's denatured. ;)

Glyn Judson

Bulk fuel.

Tom and all, I fitted my previous boat, an Ericson 25+ with a kerosene fueled Force 10 heater that I mounted on the port bulkhead in the saloon. First some background: My wife Marilyn worked in the Chevron, El Segundo refinery her entire career in the Environmental Affairs Department keeping their air and water clean. Chris, a chemist colleague of hers worked his way up through the ranks at the refinery, one time dispensing Jet A to the tankers for delivery to local airports. I wasn't too keen on spending what I recall was $8/gallon at West Marine for a gallon of kerosene so I called Chris and asked for help. He explained that when an order for Jet A came in, he'd slap a Jet A label on the barrel and pour away. If an order for kerosene came in, he'd slap a kerosene label on an empty barrel and pour away from the same spigot. They were/are both the same. I arranged with a local Aviation company at Santa Monica Airport to buy five gallons of Jet A delivered into a safety can I had. I paid some very fair price per gallon that way and made the trek there about once a year or more. One day I came in to get a refill and the kid who walked out to the truck told me that I was sort of a legend around there, that he'd heard of me before, the guy who only buys five gallons at a time. Now here's the kicker, the diameter of the dispensing nozzle was such as to barely fit into the neck of the safety can which forced the kid to pump it ever so slowly. The result was that although getting a full five gallons, the meter would only read about three and a half. Against my protestations, they would only charge me for what the meter read, knowing full well that I'd gotten five. So the bottom line is as with your getting alcohol in bulk, I enjoyed the celebrity of being "that guy who gets five gallons once a year". We sold the boat 16 years ago this June when we bough the E31 and with that went the heater. I made the decision to put the sam heater in the boat in the same place but propane fired this time. Great little 9,000 BTU Cosy Cabin heater with only a 1" stack running to the cabin top. http://www.boatownersworld.com/dickinsonmarine/cozy_cabin_heater.htm Cheers, Glyn

Dave N

Member III
I put an Origo 6000 in my 35 II this weekend. Seemed like the easiest solution. It is a bit small for the space......and looks a bit out of scale. For example I will need a 2 1/2" block on the side of the bulkhead for the gimbal restraint to reach the side when fully extended. I talked to a number of people that owned them and all were satisfied, although some noted that it takes time to get the oven up to temperature. Good Old Boat has an article coming in the next issue on alcohol stoves. Karen was kind enough to send me a PDF of it. If you like, I could forward you the PDF.

Sven

Seglare
The Origo 6000 is wonderful.

It is indeed more compact than standard so blocks are probably needed to mount it.

If you are going to use it for baking I'd suggest getting a piece of tile or marble. We got a 1/2" piece that we cut to 9" by 14" (does not overhang the edges of the SS bottom plate in the oven). The SS plates in the oven don't provide very much thermal inertia so when you open the oven you spill out more heat than you might like. Of course, the inertia also slows down the heating up part but that's not a problem, at least not for us. If you are only roasting or making pizza the tile probably isn't needed.

We also cut some wood handles we slipped over the metal handles. You need mittens if you don't put something on the handles or you will get toasty fingers.

$17/gallon is what we pay for the alcohol here in S. Ca. where diesel at the fuel dock is $5.60 and regular at the pump is $4.30 or so.

-Sven

Attachments

• Origo 6000.jpg
    Origo 6000.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 222

Fortune

Thanks everyone for your input. Turns out I think I had already made up my mind on the Origo 6000. I'd done quite a bit of research and just needed to hear that other people were happy with it. If anybody hears of a deal on one....give me a holler. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eagle eye on craiglist's for a used one.
Tim

sv_naidia

Member II
Alcohol stove article

Hi Dave,

I am seriously considering the Origo 6000 on my 34T. I would love to see the article you are referring to. I currently don't have a cutout for a stove/oven as the original was a counter drop in non gimbaled variety so the smaller size won't be an issue. I like Sven's idea of the marble/tile piece in the oven to for heat retention. My email is ronald.mahan@yahoo.com if you would be so kind....

Thanks,

--Ron

I put an Origo 6000 in my 35 II this weekend. Seemed like the easiest solution. It is a bit small for the space......and looks a bit out of scale. For example I will need a 2 1/2" block on the side of the bulkhead for the gimbal restraint to reach the side when fully extended. I talked to a number of people that owned them and all were satisfied, although some noted that it takes time to get the oven up to temperature. Good Old Boat has an article coming in the next issue on alcohol stoves. Karen was kind enough to send me a PDF of it. If you like, I could forward you the PDF.

Last edited:

Intuition

Member I
Propane on E35 - 2

Exoduse35 - you have done exactly what I am thinking on doing on my E35-2. Would it be possible for you to take a few photos to give me a leg up on what I'm sure is going to be another major project. I currently have CNG which just isn't making me happy with the cost of it, the weight of the cylinder and how fast my stove goes thru a cylinder. thanks, David