• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail help!

IslandTime29

Member II
I am still learning, even after a year and a half of owning our E29. I finally, yes, I know its been a year and a half, pulled out all the extra sail bags I have in our garage. I have no idea about the size and or purpose of some of them. I am looking to sell a few of them, so just needing info.

Jib Top is one of them. It is stamped on the bag along with the Ericson logo and Ericson 29. What is this?

Difference between a Genoa 1 and Genoa 2? I know the Genoa 1 is a 150%, but unsure on the Genoa 2.

Staysail is another one. I have two of these, but don't know function or size. Are these "storm jibs"?

I really appreciate any help. The good news is that I have 2 Genoa #1 and 1 Genoa #2 that are all in excellent condition. I will be selling one of the Genoa 1 and maybe the Genoa 2, as I am having a roller furling system installed soon.

Thank you in advance!

Justin

E33MikeOx

Member II
Justin:

Boy, did you ask loaded questions! My answer is: Well, uhh, it sorta, kinda depends .... (on any number of unstated, and/or nebulous variables). Lets see, there is: the boat, the PO, the sailmaker, the particular sail "fad" at the time, and so on. This sure doesn't answer your questions, does it?

Jib top - I have no idea (I thought a "jib top" was one to the numerous jibs on the bow of a tall ship!)

Difference between a No.1 and No.2 Genoa - No. 2's are usually smaller than No. 1's, but sometimes they are the same size and the No. 2. is made of heavier sailcloth to better hold its shape in higher winds.

Staysail - Usually refers to a sail set between the mast and forestay. One application would be to fill in the gap under a spinnaker (spinnaker staysail), and it would typically be made of nylon spinnaker cloth. Another type of staysail is usually set on a removable inner forestay and intended to be used, mostly reaching, I think, with a genoa (kinda, sorts like a Cutter rig).

I will be interesting to see other replies to your questions - I expect to learn something myself.

Mike Oxborrow
JP Foolish
E-33, Hull #25

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sails

Easy questions:

Jib Top is one of them. It is stamped on the bag along with the Ericson logo and Ericson 29. What is this? A Jib top is a high clewed genoa designed for sailing angles between close hauled and where you would think about a spinnaker. It is deeper than a # 1 genoa since it is not designed to point as high. It is a powerful, high clewed sail. Normally they are the same size as your #1 Genoa (about 150%)

Difference between a Genoa 1 and Genoa 2? I know the Genoa 1 is a 150%, but unsure on the Genoa 2. A #2 is the next size down from the #1. Generally the step down is between 20-0% of LP. If your #1 is a 150%, your 2 should be between 120-130%. Designed for conditions where you are overpowered with your #1 or Jib top up.

Staysail is another one. I have two of these, but don't know function or size. Are these "storm jibs"?NO-they are not storm jibs at all. There are genoa staysails which are designed to be flown underneath a Jib Top, and there are spinnaker staysails designed to be flown under a spinnaker. There are several posts with pics about this if you want to seach the site.Since you have a Jib Top, I would guess the smaller one is the genoa staysail, and the bigger, lighter one is the spinnaker staysail.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Cheers

Last edited: