• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-35 II Encapsilated Backstay Chainplate

cduer

I was wondering if anyone knows how the backstay chainplate is installed on an E-35 II. It looks to me that it is glassed in place without through bolts. Has anyone had trouble with this installation and has anyone through bolted the chainplate. I ask this because I see some stress fractures and blistering on my transom in the chainplate area. The boat is a 1972 model and otherwise in good shape. Any information about this would be most appreciated. Thanks, cduer

Monty Beed

Member I
Backstay chain plate

The backstay chain plate is indeed glassed in. I am currently reftting a 1974 E35 II and since this is the only glassed in chainplate I felt I needed to investigate. I cut out the chain plate and found it to be in excellent shape. What I did find is that during installation they held the chainplate in place with duct tape so they could glass it in. That resulted in an area where the glass was stuck onto the duct tape and not actually bonded to the hull. Ericson has a good build reputation but sometimes you just want to scream. It's hard to see in this picture but you can see towards the bottom of the chain plate where I tore away the duct tape and glass. I pulled all the other chainplates and found them to be in great shape. I did find another factory shortcut in the main port chainplate where it attached to the bulkhead. I will post that horror story in an upcoming post. I did not find any sign of corrosion on the chainplates and none of the chainplate mounting areas were damaged due to water damage. For a 37 year old boat the overall condition of the chainplates was outstanding. No two boats are the same so it smart to examine all the chainplates. I am taking my boat cruising when finnished so I am not leaving anything univestigated.
boat stuff 019.jpg