• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat History, looking for your help

Jlroberts280

Member I
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I purchased Spirit, a 1983 E35-III in the fall. We havent even sailed her yet but are very excited as we get ready to launch tomorrow. I have been doing some fairly extensive work over the last few months to get her ready. Some of the work is described in other threads on this site.

While compounding the transom the other day I came across shadows of a previous name and home port. The name is also Spirit (in a different font)but the port is Old Saybrook CT. I have been looking at all the reference material on this site and came across the following offical company brouchure for the 35-III

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/local_links.php?catid=94

In one of the pictures, the featured boat clearly displays the name Spirit with the home port of Old Saybrook CT. The boat in the picture has the same color scheme and also shows some optional hardware that out current boat has. How many E35 Spirit's can there be from Old Saybrook? I know our boat, #129 was originally sold by New Boat Systems, Inc. of New London CT on 3/21/83 to Richard Ermler. It was passed to Patricia Ermler in 1990. It was owned by Robert and Carole Garabedian from 2000 to 2008, and Paul and IIham Bothner from 2008-2010. It has been registered in CT, NY and NJ.

Just for fun, I am curious if our boat is the one featured in the brochure. Does anyone have any way of knowing? Does anyone have any other information about our boat? Did you race on it? Against it? I would love to hear some stories and/or explinations for why repairs had to be made etc.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Jon Roberts

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Jon, that would be very cool if your boat is the same as the cover model. What unique HW are you referring to? Some E35-IIIs came with a racing package that included extra winches and a backstay adjuster. Mine came that way but the boat in the brochure does not have it. In fact, "Cordelia" was a unique boat as she was custom built in red gelcoat. The only unique things I see on the brochure are the graphics; the way the "P" runs into the underline and the double "o"s in Saybrook. Also, the turning block behind the primarie for the jib sheet is not on all boats.

Congrats on the new boat and I hope you will be racing at CYC this year. I have been crewing on an E34 and we would be very closely matched to your boat which makes for really fun racing.

Where do you plan to keep her?

Let me know if you need any help or advice on her.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
In addition to what Tim said to look for, take a look at where your instruments are (or were) mounted, ours appear to have been factory mounted on the pedestal, not by the companionway.

Our spinnaker pole track doesn't go that high, and we don't have winch on the mast under the boom as the picture appears to show. Maybe those were all part of the "racing package", I don't know. I've never seen another E35-3 with a winch there though.

If everything matches up, it probably is the same boat... I don't think they made enough 35-III's to have that many coincidences.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The racing package came with 2 primaries and 2 secondaries in the cockpit. It also included 3 winches on the cabin top and one on the mast. Total of 8 winches.

The only reason I might doubt that it is the same boat is the fact that it is number 129 unless that is a continuation from the 35-2.

Last edited:

Jlroberts280

Member I
I spent the whole day on the boat. I am convinced it's the same boat. The lettering of spirit with the underline as well as the distinctive "linked" O's in Old Saybrook are identical. The four instruments on the port side are the same. We have the racing package as Tim described. I am curious who posted the brochure on this forum and if they or anyone else has an original brochure. I would be very interested in obtaning one.

Tim, I plan on racing this year but I am still learning and will probably not be at your level. If you ever want to jump ship for a night and show me some pointers about the boat that would be great.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I had a copy of that brochure on Cordelia but it got sold with the boat.

I will definitely take you up on your offer Jon. I would be happy to give you any info I may have.