• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PEX plumbing for potable water

mmackof

Member II
I'm smitten by the pex tubing and sharkbite fittings I've seen.
I'm putting the monel tank back in service and getting rid of three water bags a PO put into both settees.
Anyone have any experience, stories or opinion on the PEX system?

Thanks,

Mort

Glyn Judson

Using PEX.

Mort and all, I can't remember the specs for PEX as it relates to cold but I do know that the high temp and pressure specs are more than adequate to serve our needs. Living in SoCal, I don't worry about freezing. We own a lovely, fully restored 1969 Airstream Caravel and the previous owner(s) allowed the copper tubing burst in a freeze. Of course the major damaged run was totally inaccessible so far as replacing with flared copper. I was crying the blues at my local plumbing supply when I was introduced to Cash Acme Sharkbite fittings, check out the cool video here: http://www.sharkbite.com/howitworks.php. I was amazed, no soldering, no clamps, no tools except for a knife or tubing cutter. My problems were solved, I could bend and slide the plastic tubing under the shower threshold and simply press the Sharkbite fittings on either end. What would have been impossible using copper took five minutes with the PEX and Sharkbite. And it's all corrosion proof being polyethylene and bronze. Curious to see our little Airstream? Click on the following link and the first set of photos will be our trailer. Hint: Look for the green mohair cushions and light green curtains. http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/69Caravel/index.html This was a long way of answering your question but my experience with PEX and Sharkbite fittings has been all good. GLyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mmackof

Member II
Glyn,

Just what I hoped I'd hear.
Thanks for sharing some more of your experience.

Fair winds,

Mort

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I just had a plumber buddy of mine replace a section of the grey polybutylene tubing from the tanks to the pump in my E38. He used "A" grade PEX and plastic fittings. Works wonderfully well, easy to install but he used a special "expanding" tool to work the PEX. Apparently PEX is pretty much immune to everything including freezing. I'm planning on doing the whole boat with it next winter when I can borrow his special tool for a week.

I'm seeing more and more PEX being used in construction. It greatly simplifies many plumbing problems, is faster and cheaper to install. I see no downside to it.

RT

Sven

Seglare
Amazingly timely question

:egrin:

The hydronic heater is one of the finally dwindling list of big ticket items we have to settle on. When shopping around on forums I was told to avoid rubber and other heater tubing and go for PEX as the only solution.

I still don't know what PEX is but this is one more endorsement :egrin:

Thanks !

-Sven

Keiffer

Member II
Useless Trivia

I am currently doing a renovation of a home for the General Manager of worldwide operations for the parent company of Sharkbite. It is an Australian firm that manufactures in Alabama. They have just moved their World Headquarters to Atlanta, Ga. I have never used the fittings but I can tell you that they are a class operation. And, if you ever have a problem I know who to call:egrin:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
:egrin:

The hydronic heater is one of the finally dwindling list of big ticket items we have to settle on. When shopping around on forums I was told to avoid rubber and other heater tubing and go for PEX as the only solution.

I still don't know what PEX is but this is one more endorsement :egrin:

Thanks !

-Sven

They use PEX here in New England even in hot water baseboard heating systems. Dunno if there is a specific type to deal with the heat but I can tell you it will be much, much, much easier to work with than just about anything else.

RT

mmackof

Member II
anybody using awab marine hose clamps on the PEX barbs?

Home Depot offers Sharkbite brand PEX products.
The plumber assistant advised using the pex clamps which he claims are SS but don't look like it and are put in place with a special $70 clampling tool. I'd be more comfortable with double SS marine clamps. Anyone have any reason to recommend against this strategy?

Thanks,

Mort

Sven

Seglare
The plumber assistant advised using the pex clamps which he claims are SS but don't look like it and are put in place with a special $70 clampling tool. I'd be more comfortable with double SS marine clamps. Anyone have any reason to recommend against this strategy?

I look forward to the answer too.

-Sven

Maine Sail

Member III

Thanks,

Mort

They will not work well on PEX as PEX needs tremendous pressure and the proper crimping tool to use crimp bands.

Personally, I don't like the Cash Acme Shark Bites as they tend to develop verdigris, the green oxidation brass gets, pretty quickly and make you new plumbing job look old. Other than that they work great.

There are a number of PEX connections methods and nearly every PEX maker offers their own version. There are expanders and crimp rings and expand and crimp and quick connect.

I use Watts Quick Connect fittings and they are the same as the SeaTech ones sold in chandleries only they often cost slightly less from a plumbing & heating wholesaler and you'll have a better selection. Watts bought the SeaTech company a number of years ago and dual labels them. I've installed hundreds of these plastic quick connect fittings (they are just like Shark Bites but don't corrode) and have never once had a leak. They are quick, easy, and allow you to re-align a fitting or twist it 360 degrees where crimped PEX fittings do not do that. They are far faster than crimping PEX.

Keep in mind that getting a specific PEX crimping tool into a tight space on a boat is not always possible and this is why the quick connects work sooooo well..

If re-plumbing I'd suggest using 3/8" PEX over 1/2" as it is far easier to work with on a boat. Also, buy the straight 10' PEX lengths as opposed to rolls. Many cities have a "Plastic Pipe" wholesaler. In our city we have Portland Plastic Pipe and they are a great resource. Also one benefit of PEX is that you can plumb hot water in red and cold in blue..

Last edited:

Maine Sail

Member III
Thanks for the great info !

I don't suppose you have a PEX tutorial page :egrin: I know that is asking too much.

-Sven

With the quick connects it is so easy I honestly never thought of it. Not asking too much if you can make the day 36 hours as opposed to 24 for me...:egrin:

Sven

Seglare
With the quick connects it is so easy I honestly never thought of it. Not asking too much if you can make the day 36 hours as opposed to 24 for me...:egrin:

Ah, I'll have to go look at some. I don't think I've ever seen any so quick connects and special crimpers and so on have left my guessing.

You say you have never had a leak ... would you trust a fitting below the waterline without the redundancy of double hose clamps (I understand why they would not work) ? IOW is it just for fresh water or could it be used for salt water washdowns or water maker intakes etc ?

-Sven

Maine Sail

Member III
Ah, I'll have to go look at some. I don't think I've ever seen any so quick connects and special crimpers and so on have left my guessing.

You say you have never had a leak ... would you trust a fitting below the waterline without the redundancy of double hose clamps (I understand why they would not work) ? IOW is it just for fresh water or could it be used for salt water washdowns or water maker intakes etc ?

-Sven

It could be used for salt water wash down after a proper seacock with proper below rated hose and double clamps. You could convert to PEX after the pump. I have never found a need to do that however and only use it for domestic hot and cold water. They are far better than the clear PVC and hose clamps we've been using for years..

I was told by a Watts engineer that the Seatech fittings were originally developed for US Navy vessels to stand up to vibrations that hard fittings just can't handle.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The brand of PEX escapes me but what was used on my boat had no clamps, etc. on the fittings. The PEX was literally expanded, stretched to fit over the barbed fitting ends, then it shrinks back and seals on the fitting. Fittings were available in brass or plastic. I liked the system because there were no O-rings, clamps, etc.

Another source for plastic fittings is the John Guest company. Another friend used these on his boat and loved them. Much cheaper than "marine" stuff too.

RT

mmackof

Member II
Ah, EXPERIENCE!!!!

They will not work well on PEX as PEX needs tremendous pressure and the proper crimping tool to use crimp bands.

Personally, I don't like the Cash Acme Shark Bites as they tend to develop verdigris, the green oxidation brass gets, pretty quickly and make you new plumbing job look old. Other than that they work great.

There are a number of PEX connections methods and nearly every PEX maker offers their own version. There are expanders and crimp rings and expand and crimp and quick connect.

I use Watts Quick Connect fittings and they are the same as the SeaTech ones sold in chandleries only they often cost slightly less from a plumbing & heating wholesaler and you'll have a better selection. Watts bought the SeaTech company a number of years ago and dual labels them. I've installed hundreds of these plastic quick connect fittings (they are just like Shark Bites but don't corrode) and have never once had a leak. They are quick, easy, and allow you to re-align a fitting or twist it 360 degrees where crimped PEX fittings do not do that. They are far faster than crimping PEX.

Keep in mind that getting a specific PEX crimping tool into a tight space on a boat is not always possible and this is why the quick connects work sooooo well..

If re-plumbing I'd suggest using 3/8" PEX over 1/2" as it is far easier to work with on a boat. Also, buy the straight 10' PEX lengths as opposed to rolls. Many cities have a "Plastic Pipe" wholesaler. In our city we have Portland Plastic Pipe and they are a great resource. Also one benefit of PEX is that you can plumb hot water in red and cold in blue..

Well, HomeDepot just got a crimping tool, two rolls of pex, one red and one blue and a bag full of sharkbite fittings back. Much thanks for sharing the lessons learned.

One question though; I'll be replacing 3/4" main to 1/2" branch ID hoses. Have you been able to maintain good pressure at the faucet with 3/8" throughout?

Again, many thanks,

Mort:egrin: