• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'69 E-41 keel question

wtlnsteve

I'm considering an Ericson 41 for Florida Coastal and Carribean cruising. The boat has an encapsulated 6' keel a bit long for my intended use. I've contacted Mars Metal in Canada to see if I can get some info on adding a bulb to take about 1' off the keel. My questing to the owners is, the boat was built with a bolt on encapsulated keel and a true encapsulated keel filled with anything of weight ie.; cement, lead, iron etc. these were the earlier boats. Some of the later ones, (this is a 1969) used a encapulated bolt on lead keel.
Any one have any experience with this vessel?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I do not believe that there is any economical way to shorten the draft on a hull with encapsulated ballast.
Anyone with experience??

Also, I moved this particular new post to its own thread since it was not really related to the old thread where it appeared.

LB

sveinutne

Member III
I think I have an 69 Ericson 41 with hull with encapsulated ballast. To me it looks like the lead is in the center going almost all the way to the bottom. I have not inspected with a stud finder, to know exactly where they are, but from some marks on the outside you can almost see the ballast.
The form of the keel is wider close to the bottom, so I think it will be difficult to make a much better keel without making drastic adjustments of the boat.

Attachments

• April 2011-keel 001-s.JPG
    April 2011-keel 001-s.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 84
  • April 2011-keel 002-s.JPG
    April 2011-keel 002-s.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 53
  • April 2011-keel 004-s.JPG
    April 2011-keel 004-s.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

wtlnsteve

41 ericson keel

So you think the lead balist goes all the way to the bottom of the keel? I would have thought that the design would have allowed for accidental grounding and built up the bottom of the keel in an effort to protect the balist? Where is the boat located?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

wtlnsteve

15 centemeters from the bottom edge of the keel. You say its a rod like weight can you tell how wide it is looking from the side of the keel? Looking from the bow how wide would you say it is?

sveinutne

Member III
When I get home after work today, I will take a picture sidways of the keel, and try to draw where the lead is located. I am not sure if I will be able to find it. It was during the winter when we had some suden change in temperature, the lead hold on the the temperature longer than the rest of the boat, and you got coclor changes where the lead was located.