• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What brand autopilot for the Ericson 1977 cruising 31?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Most any brand should work.

I installed a Raymarine on my Ericson 35-3 a few years ago and was very satisfied with it's performance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Funny you should ask...

If you can afford $3K or so for a below-decks AP, they are really nice.

A new external wheel pilot costs about $1300. That's a lot of $ difference.

Our boat displaces about the same as yours and has used an Autohelm A4000S (nowadays known as Raymarine) wheel pilot for 15 years.

We're replacing it with a new Raymarine wheel pilot soon, due to its age.

Loren

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Autopilot for an E31.

Tim, Loren and others, The boat in question is an early E31 hull fitted from the factory with wheel box steering, throttle and transmission controls on the port coaming. I've exchanged emails with them and explained as much as I can, mainly that the cost to convert would be great and very labor intensive. Additionally, I'm not sure that the quadrant on our boats is suited to affixing a below deck unit given that there is a large aperture in the transom that an extension of the quadrant uses to attach to the external rudder. That isolated space is constantly awash in sea water when under way. Glyn

Emerald

I think Glyn has, once again, hit it on the head. I don't think it would be practical to mount a below deck AP on any Independence/Cruising 31. I do think that it might be possible to work up a mounting for an Autohelm 4000 style drive if you were a little creative. Here's a picture of the box in question:

Attachments

• c31-steering-box.jpg
    c31-steering-box.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 526

fragilehabitat

I think Glyn has, once again, hit it on the head. I don't think it would be practical to mount a below deck AP on any Independence/Cruising 31. I do think that it might be possible to work up a mounting for an Autohelm 4000 style drive if you were a little creative. Here's a picture of the box in question:

Yes that is the exact box. Would a CPT work? Also, can you show me where to find a schematic of how that box is attached to the rudder? You guys are great!

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
AutoHelm alternative-low power demand

I've communicated pretty extensively with Yves Gélinas, Cape Horn Marine Products He developed a model he refers to as "Precipice" taken from the name of the wooden, gaff-rigged Briston Channel Cutter for which it was designed.
Output from the servo pendulum is external, ie; lines and blocks connected directly to the rudder blade. I've gotten to first base with Yves developing basic dimensions and it appears very practical.
For about the price of that below deck AP you can have a system that requires ZERO power supply. Included are a couple of images of similar installations and a "mock-up" on mine. For motoring a Tiller Pilot would provide the input.
I'll be having one.

Attachments

• Precipice,-lines-to-rudder.jpg
    Precipice,-lines-to-rudder.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Contessa-26.jpg
    Contessa-26.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Cape Horn rigged.jpg
    Cape Horn rigged.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

fragilehabitat

I am with Seattle Yachts and we have a buyer for this vessel who is owned by chuck rust in anacortes. The new buyer is trying to get this information on the schematic of how the steering box works and what type of autopilot will work. Thank you for the help.

fragilehabitat

I've communicated pretty extensively with Yves Gélinas, Cape Horn Marine Products He developed a model he refers to as "Precipice" taken from the name of the wooden, gaff-rigged Briston Channel Cutter for which it was designed.
Output from the servo pendulum is external, ie; lines and blocks connected directly to the rudder blade. I've gotten to first base with Yves developing basic dimensions and it appears very practical.
For about the price of that below deck AP you can have a system that requires ZERO power supply. Included are a couple of images similar installations. For motoring a Tiller Pilot would provide the input.
I'll be having one.
Can you send me the pics direct?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I don't think it would be practical to mount a below deck AP on any Independence/Cruising 31.

Actually, it depends on what the boat was ordered with. My pedestal
was ordered with an idler pulley and sprocket for a chain drive
autopilot system. I would think you could set up something similar for
the steering box option. Glyn is right, trying to make something
work off the quadrant just isn't practical on this boat. Any way you
cut it, below decks systems are spendy.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Question

I have not seen the area under the deck on a 31, but on a couple of other boats with the same steering gear, we were able to attach a sprocket drive system on the other end of the steering shaft, with the chain coming up through the deck just like the one on the fore end of the shaft.

By placing the motor below the deck and a correctly keyed sprocket on the aft end of the shaft we were able to mount a below decks pilot that worked well. Alignment had to be precise, but that is true in some fashion with all units.

Guy
:)

Attachments

• rotary-drive.jpg
    rotary-drive.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 376

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Taking liberty with Guys' detail

Guy,
Three attached images;
First view is looking stbd. aft showing the drive cable run from the U/S of the pedestal where it turns back upward (to a third pulley) to be redirected thru the side of the quadrant box. The integral drain pipe is located roughly where your AH drive would drop thru the cockpit floor. The vertical/ convex protrusion is the fairing slot forward of the rudder blade.
Second image, looking to starboard shows the interior of the quadrant box.
Third is a rework of your sketch showing the option to turn the drive direction forward to a servo motor. This would involve a mid-run of cable between the drive and driven segments of chain. In the cruising 31 (subject of this thread) there is reasonable access to this "below cockpit" space via the quarter berth.
As mentioned by Martin, these images should give you some sense of how little space there is in the after sections of the I-31 Hull.

Attachments

• Below Deck view.jpg
    Below Deck view.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
  • helm seat3R.jpg
    helm seat3R.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 66
  • rotary-drive 1.jpg
    rotary-drive 1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited: