• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

cut an inspection/cleaning port in holding tank?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

I baby our head/holding tank to keep everything running smoothly and to avoid/minimize odour. I periodically fill the holding tank with water, let it slosh around a bit while sailing and then empty it. But I have a hunch that emptying it does not get rid of any "sludge" or deposits in the bottom of the holding tank, below the pumpout hose.

We are planning a two to three week cruise in more remote areas where we will be relying on the head/holding tank more than usual. We do use Odorlos and similar products to keep it functioning well and odour free.

In order to ensure that it gets cleaned periodically and to enable inspection for any clogs or even back-flushing for any clogs, I am considering installing an inspection port in the top of the holding tank--like the 4" white plastic deck plates with a rubber O-ring to seal it. My question is whether these are a tight enough seal to ensure that no odour can escape the holding tank (it is under the V-berth where we sleep).

Is my plan a good idea, or overkill (given that I'm not really having any trouble now), or is this asking for trouble?

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Frank

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
I would refrain from cutting into the tank. I can't say for sure that the inspection plates that you buy are air tight, but if you install and it's not, then you are in trouble.

Also, unless the sludge is very thick (depth in bottom of tank) do you really stand that much to gain? An inch in the bottom would probably not displace that much storage.

But, if your worry is still with you, then I would put hot water directly into the tank thru the pump out on the deck and then pump out to see if that would melt/breakdown the sludge. Outside of that, and using normal chemicals, I would let that sleeping dog continue it's nap!:egrin:

Best,
Frank

ChrisS

Member III
Don Casey recommends adding water softener to the rinse out. Don't know if it works, but it may be worth a try. When I pulled and discarded my old tank, it was very heavy...probably seriously diminished it's capacity, too.

My new tank has a spin-welded port in the top. I sealed the cap threads with gasfitters tape. Ronco also had an option of a deck hatch, but I felt a little uneasy about that one.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm not sure just how possible it is to get a gas-tight seal when installing a retrofit cleanout port on a rotomolded tank.
Our original Ronco tank had all fittings spun-welded in and when they made a new larger tank for us with a cleanout port, that port was also spun-welded in.

I wonder if an old tank could be removed from the boat once every decade or so and cleaned with a high pressure hot water wand thru one of the hose ports?

Ugly job! Ick....
:p

LB

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the original holding tank in my 35-3 with a Ronco and had an inspection port spin welded into the top and used a clear plastic cap with a large O-ring. A little silicone grease on the O-ring ensures a good seal and the clear cap lets me look in to see the level. I also have the cap lined up with the input hose to make clog clearing easier. Of course, never had a clog after that.

I would not trust the Beckson access ports for a good seal either. You want a good spin on cap with a large sealing surface and a decent sized O-ring.