• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Broken Shift Linkage at shift handle - E39

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmackof

Member II
I've attached 4 images of my pedestal.
Two show the broken linkage for the shifter.
Two show a shew in the meeting of the upper bowl and mid base of the pedestal. There are only 3 of the 4 long bolts holding the bowl in place.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this linkage failure before and might have an approach to fixing it.

I'm also wondering if the pedestal is made up of original sections of Yacht Specialties parts or some PO's idea?

thanks,

Mort:esad:

Attachments

• IMG-20110422-00049.jpg
    IMG-20110422-00049.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-20110422-00050.jpg
    IMG-20110422-00050.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG-20110422-00051.jpg
    IMG-20110422-00051.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG-20110422-00052.jpg
    IMG-20110422-00052.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 76

Sven

Seglare
Might not help ...

... but these pictures show how it was set up in our 39B with the aft pedestal and how it is now with the new binnacle guard set-up. Both Nancy and I can now clearly see over the radar/chartplotter/AIS when seated at the helm.

I was surprised that the collar under the compass was plastic, not aluminum.

As you can see, the collar seems to be much shorter than yours ?

We did replace the shifter cable last fall after the old one got stiff, what a difference that made ! The new shifter feel is like silk !

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_3883.jpg
    DSC_3883.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_3884.jpg
    DSC_3884.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_3888.jpg
    DSC_3888.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5664.jpg
    IMG_5664.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5703.jpg
    IMG_5703.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 68

mmackof

Member II
your reply

Thanks very much.
Is your equipment original Sailing Specialties or perhaps Edson?

Fair winds,

Mort

Sven

Seglare
I believe ours was all S-Specialties when we redesigned it.

(the new stuff in the last picture is a Navpod SS guard and pod with a Starboard 'triangle' tying it to the pedestal, so don't get confused by that part)

Loren probably remembers but I seem to remember that someone just posted the same problem you are having a few months ago ?

-Sven

mmackof

Member II
Add this to your next survey - Rube Goldberg Control Ring repair

After commandeering an impact driver to get the long frozen bolts out I got down to the control ring and detached the handles.

The Control Ring has been poorly maintained and repaired. Looks like I've got three quadrants filled with epoxy as the aluminum casting deteriorated.

The supports for the linkage have both broken off before. The pieces were drilled and bolted back together.

I'm off to the local welder to see if he can fabricate something from tube, plate and bar stock for me. It will be SS this time.

Other thoughts?
Anyone want one if I go with this project?

Mort

Attachments

• Control housing ring from below, shifter mount left, fracture visible..jpg
    Control housing ring from below, shifter mount left, fracture visible..jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Control housing ring from below, throttle mount PO repair.jpg
    Control housing ring from below, throttle mount PO repair.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Shift linkage and Morse cable.jpg
    Shift linkage and Morse cable.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Throttle Linkage and cable.jpg
    Throttle Linkage and cable.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Control hosing ring from below.jpg
    Control hosing ring from below.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 61

Sven

Seglare
If by "control ring" you mean the ring the control levers are mounted in (I didn't know the name before your use of it) then that was all plastic on Senta II. I found out because one of the 4 SS screws the held it in place had seized up so I had to drill out the head, the drilling melted the plastic. I stopped in time so no real damage was done from the melting and the rest of the fitting was in great shape. Maybe they switched to plastic later ?

The dark fitting you see below is the compass housing that sits on to of the control ring.

-Sven

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpg
    IMG_5664.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_3871.jpg
    DSC_3871.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_3876.jpg
    DSC_3876.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 62

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
those older YS wheel steering pedistal assemblies seem to show up regularly at the used marine parts shops around the nation...
I wonder if some time on the 'net and your cell phone might turn up one with a lot better top section?

LB

mmackof

Member II
Throttle - Transmission pedestal control ring

Well apparently Yachting Specialties supplied 7,000 plastic rings of this design to Hunter. Given that potential demand, there's a source for beautifully cast and machined aluminum replacements.
It will outlast the boat, came in two days and cost $160.

I was bidding on entire original pedestals on eBay @ $600 so LB's suggestion was on the mark.

A great end to a horrible beginning! My thanks to Guy Stevens for the tip.

Mort:egrin:
E-39

mmackof

Member II
Ahhh...Point Magu in the mid 1970's

sorry, but the Oxnard brings back memories. As a EE I used to invent stuff for them.

I am not keeping it secret. I told all that Guy Stevens gave me the info. I think he should get the credit for what to me was a miracle find.

tell them you are from the ericson forum

JOES Racing Products, Inc.

PHONE
Questions: 425.267.9199
Orders: 877.267.1525
Fax: 425.353.1596

Sales: robert@joesracing.com
Accounting & Shipping: kim@joesracing.com
Purchasing: lyn@joesracing.com
Marketing & Web: jeff@joesracing.com

ADDRESS

JOES Racing Products, Inc.
1410 80<sup>th</sup> ST SW Unit F
Everett, WA 98203

Robert at Joes says its
7 Inches overall across2 inches tall (He may have said 2 1\2)
4 bolts 4 3/4 inches across and 6 inches diagonally
As its raw aluminum, I powder coated mine but in hindsight a two part LP would have been a better idea.

Mort :egrin:
E39 #5? :)

Last edited:

mmackof

Member II
part is usually in stock

The shop built the tooling themselves because a friend had a plastic ring, from a Hunter, that broke. To help him out and in light of the aforementioned 7,000 plastic rings sold by Yachting Specialties, they cast and finished a batch. When they run low they apparently just cast up another batch.

Mort

Wally Grove

E32 broken plastic shift lever support

The shop built the tooling themselves because a friend had a plastic ring, from a Hunter, that broke. To help him out and in light of the aforementioned 7,000 plastic rings sold by Yachting Specialties, they cast and finished a batch. When they run low they apparently just cast up another batch.

Mort

Thanks to your note and the info from Guy Stevens, I purcased a new fully nachimed cast aluminum suppprt from JOES Racing Products. I'm impressed with the quality, the price and the delivery time. Thanks for all the info. Wally

Status
Not open for further replies.