• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Superhatch

Braveheart

Well, not really "wanted" but I can't afford to replace it with a new one so I guess "need" is a better word. I need the hatch cover (aluminum frame that holds the plexiglass) which is the forward superhatch on my e-38. The aluminum frame is split on the existing one. I have a new gasket for it, but do need an aluminum frame. The inside measurement of the opening from side to side is 19 3/4" .

If anyone has an old one I would like to buy it as long as it is sound.

Thank you!!

Helen in Vancouver, 604-883-9789 or chantysong@gmail.com

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You might want to check on Select Plastics' website; they usually have some used/rebuilt Super Hatches. Unfortunately the prices are not much less than a new Ocean Hatch.

Last edited:

Braveheart

You might want to check on Select Plastics' website; they usually have some used/rebuilt Super Hatches. Unfortunately the prices are not much less than a new Ocean Hatch.

Thank you, yes, I think rather than pay their prices we would bite the bullet and get a new one. Like you say, there's not a lot of difference between their old 25 year old refurbished and a new one. Sigh, just hoping some packrat has one kicking around. We're getting soaked in the Vberth. :esad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan D

Worthless trivia, and old trivia to boot....
but I bought a new Ocean series size 70 fore hatch direct from Lewmar USA back in the 90's. I paid about $300. for a hatch that listed at about $700. and was cataloged for about $550. discount at that time.
This was a "dealer return" hatch from their Returns dept. My new hatch had one small ding on the spigot about the size of a dime, and no one notices unless I point it out. :rolleyes:

The boat came to us with the fore hatch frame bent, and there was no effective way to repair it. The original "roll stop" hinge scheme was worthless, as well.

I read somewhere that Lewmar has started shipping damaged parts back to the UK for refurbishing, but still it might not hurt to ask them.

Best,
Loren

Braveheart

I read somewhere that Lewmar has started shipping damaged parts back to the UK for refurbishing said:
Thank you, Loren, that sounds great. For once in our life our Canadian dollar is above US. so it just might be worth a shot!

Thanks again for sharing some sage advice!

Helen

Imagineer

Member I
Plan E

Depending on where in the frame the split occurs, how complicated a break & how pretty you want the result, you could always remove the plexi, remove the aluminum hatch frame, take it to a welder for welding & grind the weld to feather it into the extruded profile.

As it's a Lewmar Super Hatch (my favorite hatch), the original aluminum anodizing is probably quite oxidized away so if you want it REALLY pretty, a final step would be to repolish the frame & have it clear anodized again.

Problem with the final step is.....it won't match the others....just a thought:egrin:

Last edited:

Braveheart

Plan F

Thank you Imagineer! We did just that. We stripped the plexi and old caulking out and had it welded, then ground it as smoothly as possible. We were able to get a new gasket and will do our best to put it all back together, then cross our fingers and turn on the hose. :eek:

Thank you to all for your great suggestions.:egrin: