• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water Heater

IslandTime29

Member II
Anyone here ever added a water heater to their Ericson? I have a 76 E29.
I was contemplating adding one at the same time I have a washdown shower, water pump and automatic faucet for galley sink.

Just not sure how much of a pain in the butt this will be!

I was thinking of installing the water heater in the starboard cockpit locker. There is not really a locker, as there is only access to this area from the quarter berth on the starboard side. There is a small door that you can get into this area through and the area is just wasted space. Obviously on a sailboat, you don't want wasted/empty space, as that is like a gold mine, well it is to me!

Any other ideas for use of this space would also be appreciated.

Justin

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I am installing an Isotherm slimline behind the back of the dinette seate on my 35-2 Because it is otherwise wasted (and dificult to get to space) along with a watermaker, charger and inverter. Good planning for all the TOYS leaves of frees up a bunch of more usable room! Edd:egrin:

Bill Sanborn

Member III
E29 Water Heater

I have had one on my '79 E29 for many years, replaced once after aprox 15 yrs.

Is is an Atwood 6 gal, 110volt but also has an internal heat exchanger so
the engine cooling fluid can be used to heat water. If your engine is FW cooled it makes HOT water, my engine temp is 180 degrees. Can make instant coffee straight from the tap, warn any crew about possible scalding.

It is mounted on a piece plywood on top of the fuel tank. The plywood has strips on the bottom matching the configuration of the tank to keep it from sliding around. Also has a wooden support to brace it to the inside of the locker. Tied to the support with nylon webbing.

Very tight fit to get the water heater into the port lazerette. The po cut back a horizontal portion of the lip that that is under the lid of the lazerette so the opening would accept the width of the heater. I don't think I could have cut into my boat like that, but since it only a small section of the horizontal portion it doesn't leak and works great.

An added benefit is that the cut made it possible to remove the fuel tank in one piece without any additional cutting. Very tight but possible.

The mounting has been tested on several interesting sails and never had a problem.

I have been very happy with the heater and installation.

Sometimes po's have good ideas.