• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 29 fuel tank!

thomthod

Member II
Alright troops!

I have been cleaning out my e 29 fuel tank. I got it off the boat and have been running diesel thru it. It is nasty! After about 7 gallons its starting to come clearer.

I have been told the way to go is maybe taking it to a radiator shop to have it flushed out. Any ideas? I dont want to do this again!

thanks

T

Blooz Traveler

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You could also try sloshing around something like lacquer thinner inside the tank to see if that helps clean it out. The lacquer thinner that remains after emptying the tank will evaporate quickly. Also, I don't think it is critical to get the tank spotlessly clean...

How old is the tank? If the deposits are that bad there may have been quite a bit of water in the bottom of the tank, too. That could cause the tank to corrode from the inside and you wouldn't know it until a pinhole leak developed and you started getting diesel fuel in your bilge. This happened to the original tank in my 30+. Someone tried to patch the hole by jamming some resin-soaked fiberglass cloth under the tank where the hole was. Needless to say the fix failed and I ended up replacing the tank.

Nice and new now, and I try to not let the tank get below 3/4 full to help avoid any condensation inside.

Last edited:

erobitaille

Member II
I had a new fuel tank made for my 38 by a guy in Costa Mesa, Ca. He made the original tanks for Ericson and is still in busness. I'll look up the info when I get home after the weekend and post.