• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

deck repa;irs

spencer

Member II
on my e-38 1985, I have a wet spot in the deck just aft of the aft corner of the starboard side of the anchor locker (about 8 inches in dia.). I attribute it to some hairline cracks at the corner of the locker.Has any one had a similar problem with with wetness in the deck?
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to take care of this situation?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I don't want to be a downer but when I replaced core in sidedecks and foredeck the extent of the damage extended much further from the mushy spots than I expected. I ended up cutting out all of the foredeck material and replacing it. I doubt very much that yours is that extensive (my boat had been severely neglected), but the water once its in, can't get back out and just sits there and rots. Lots of good threads on core replacement at www.plasticclassicforum.com . If your deck is in good condition, you may want to get at it from underneath. I understand that the drill-a-bunch-of-holes-and-fill-with-epoxy method does not work well. Unfortunately I think any way you go about it its going to be an unpleasant job. :esad:

Doug

Jlroberts280

Member I
This is a common area for core problems. I am not sure of your exact model but in my case I know water was getting onto the core through the hole for the sliding handle/pin handware that locks the lid into the deck. I cut out a section of the lower skin about 1'X2', removed the core, replaced the core, and glassed in a new lower skin. I did not replace the core in the immediate area of the sliding pin, instead I filled that section with thickened epoxy to stop the problem from happening again.

While you are at it, I would remove and rebed the anchor pan and check for rot in the bulkhead below that wet section of core. While you have the anchor pan out you might as well remove, epoxy fill, redrill, and rebed all the bow hardware that you cant do without removing the anchor pan.

Sorry, you are not alone. The pictures show the culprit and the damaged core removed.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=9357

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

spencer

Member II
deck repairs

had the anchor pan our this winter and redid all the thru deck hardware "bolt holes and small cracks. This winter layup i will see what I can do with the deck.I was hoping i could encapsulate the area then fill it in with some kind of epoxy injection system instead of a total removal..