• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New Lewmar Portlight Doesn't Match!

u079721

Contributing Partner
One of the four slanted Lewmar portlights on my E-38 (the fixed deadlights, size 4R) had become so crazed from sunlight that I felt the need to replace it this fall. I don't know why only one crazed so badly, but at $350 each, I'm glad it wasn't all four. Anyway, I just received the hatch on Friday after waiting six weeks to have it made up to order. Got out to the boat, and the thing doesn't match!

Somewhere along the line Lewmar has changed the shape of the molding on the port. Where it used to have a bevel to the molding, and actually stick out quite a bit, the new design is more flush and doesn't protrude from the hull surface as much. It's really better looking, but it isn't the same. Damn. Oh well, I figured it was better to have one port with a slightly different molding that folks might notice, than one port that is so crazed that people do notice, and which might not be structurally sound - so I went ahead.

That 3M 101 caulk is amazing stuff, as it must have taken me over an hour to get the old port out. The screws definitely weren't necessary. It was also interesting that I had to enlarge the cutout in a couple of places to get the new frame to fit. The new port looks great, and I doubt anyone will really notice (but of course I will).

Next project is to replace the drip free stuffing in the stuffing box, which finally failed this season after 9 years (so I guess I got my money's worth).

SingPilot

Lewmar ports

Minney's salvage in Newport Beach, CA got most of the old Lewmar ports. My 1991 vintage Hunter had badly crazed ports, and I replaced them all with exact duplicates. Ran like $90 a piece. There was a pile 50 deep there last time I was there.

Let me know, I could probably swing by there to see ifthey are still there

Michael Krebs.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Now you tell me......

I went ahead and used the one I had, but seriously, if they have more I might replace one or two of the others (I still have two old 4Ls and one old 4Rs).

Do you have contact info for them?