• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Best driver for a boat

adam

Member III
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a good driver, or impact driver, for putting in screws, bolts, and especially removing those annoying stuck screws.

I guess that an impact driver will be much better at keeping the bit in the screw head, but has the disadvantage that'll use too much torque and strip hole threads when you're putting in screws.

What do you have? What do you like?

What should I watch out for and avoid?

Cheers.

wolly bugger

Member II
impact driver

Adam
I do use my impact driver almost daily for work and they are amazing. They make it much easier to keep the drill bit from striping the screw and mostly at those hard to reach place. The problem that you need to be aware of (mostly for old screw that are tread in fiber glass) is that the hi torque produce by impact driver will have a tendency to snap the screw right of and then it will be almost impossible to remove the remaining of it.
FYI I'm using the dewalt 18V. but they are many other good one available. Many manufacturer have a good line of li-on 12V that is really appealing for lighter duty work. Also if you end up with one of them, make sure you get impact ready drill/screw bit.

Emerald

I've been very happy with my Milwaukee impact driver. One of the things that led me to choose the Milwaukee that has really paid off on the boat is it has a compact head length allowing it to fit into tight spaces. It also has a light that comes on, aimed at your work, which can be of great aid when working in dark spots.

adam

Member III
Emerald,

Is that the 12v or 18v Milwaukee?

I've been very happy with my Milwaukee impact driver. One of the things that led me to choose the Milwaukee that has really paid off on the boat is it has a compact head length allowing it to fit into tight spaces. It also has a light that comes on, aimed at your work, which can be of great aid when working in dark spots.

Emerald

Emerald,

Is that the 12v or 18v Milwaukee?

It's an 18V - and I should add that I got it as a combo with a drill, charger, case, and second battery at an outstanding price - about $200 for the combo, which you could pay close to for just the drill.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'm a Makita user, and I suppose I'm a "professional" user, as people pay me for my work..... That said, its a Makita 14.4volt impact driver and drill kit. 5 years of continuous daily use, one complete battery replacement, and still going strong. The new models are Lithium batteries, more powerful and last longer too.

Pay attention to the amp hour capacity of the batteries of any brand you buy, more means longer without charging, as expected.

RT

Lucky Dog

Member III
FWIW

As a high school technology teacher I asked a senior class to write a essay on what was their favorite tool and why. Even though I really like my pocket knife that my son bought me, my impact driver is my favorite tool; it has never failed me. De Walt has with stood students use for six years now. Fine Home Building recommends Hitachi.

I still use my De Walt because it takes same battery as my drill. I don't have to have 5 different battery chargers like my brother.

ml

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I got the 18V Makita driver from Home Despot. I was initially worried that it felt a little light and wouldn't have enough power to drive bigger screws. But I was quickly disabused of this notion! Second only to the Multimaster for my best tool ever. You can modulate the torque with the trigger. But you will still break a bunch of screws off before you figure out how far you can press your luck (hint- screwing into fiberglass is particularly troublesome). I think I paid about $140 for it.

Get a driver now, you won't ever regret this tool purchase!:egrin:

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My only issue with DeWalt is they recommend, or they used to, that the batteries be stored inside in winter. Thats straight from a DeWalt rep at a tool show. I have friends that are "DeWalt guys" and they have had issues in deep winter cold with them. Not practical in my use to pull tool out of the trailer every day after work in winter. The Makitas have performed well even outdoors all day in subzero conditions. It pays to read the battery care recommendations if this use applies to you. Nothing against DeWalt otherwise, they make some fine tools.

The other thing to look for is does the manufacturer make a "box store" grade and also a "pro grade" of the same tool? When it comes to cordless tools, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Panasonic, Festool, Bosch, and a few more are actually intended for continuous professional use. Ryobi, Craftsman, Hitachi, Porter Cable, and others, not so much. It depends what kind of use you plan for the tool, but sometimes the extra money spent is worth it.

YRMV, but I have never been burned by spending the cash on a good tool. I have been sorely disappointed by some cheap ones though....

RT

Dan Morehouse

Member III
I've had great luck with Panasonics. Have owned four successive generations of them in 25 years of continuous professional use. Light, compact, and very well balanced. I've never bought more than the 14 point something volt size, but I drive deck screws routinely, and only switch to a corded drill when I know I'll be driving them for longer sessions.

If you intend any kind of continuous use, paying more for higher quality tools will save money down the road. They'll outlast something that costs half as much by four or five times.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

adam

Member III
I'm 90% sure I'm going to buy a Milwaukee set this week.

The next question though, is that I've got a bunch of big slot-headed screws and bolts on my boat like the stanchion bolts. Can I find bits for the driver that will fit that?

Lucky Dog

Member III
Sometimes fiberglass seems to not to let go of screws. I used this and I had to use this with a 5 lb sledge to several screws out.
Yes you can get any bit for the electric impact driver.

Last edited: