• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail #

mesa797

My partner and I own a Ericson #30+ with a hull ID of ERY30708K485 and are purchasing a new sail. the question of a number came up and we would like to link it with the number in the line of Ericson #30+ built. Is there a way to identify our boat? We have been told that the boat was owned by Bruce's son at one point several years ago.

Thanks,
Doug & John SF/So Beach

mesa797

Thanks Steve. I had no idea of the number of 30+ boats manufactured or that the set of numbers following the 30 was the indicator of the order of the line built.

Best,
Doug

Brian K

Member III
I think the sail number may represent an assigned racing number but I'm not really sure. My sail number is 42883 and my HIN is ERY32804H788.

rgoff

Member III
Factory sail numbers and racing association sail numbers are different. The racing ones are longer, like 5 digits. The boat came from the factory with a "short" number.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
sail #'s

The primary purpose of sail #'s are for racing, and the numbers are assigned by the local YRA. The first few numbers are to designate which YRA region you are in, and then they are sequential. Some of the regions will allow you to request a specific # if it is not already taken (like your hull # or a previous winning sail #).

Otherwise, the sail #'s which reflect the hull # are generally informal "vanity" #'s for the owner. For cruising designs it was sometimes common for a production sailmaker to put the hull # on the sail if the factory sail purchase arrangment was written that way (MacGregor/Venture did this, and others as well), but if you have a a sail # which reflects your hull # and you decide to register with a local YRA, they will likely assign you a different sail #. You could request to use your hull # if it is on your sail, but this will only be approved if that # is not taken.

As I read this I realized I have confused everyone, but it has been a long week (just got back from the Ensenada Race)..

Oh well:p

Cheers!