• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Racing sails for 35' MK II 1979

Jamie

Looking for help in buying a new main and a 155% head sail for racing. What is winning for you. I sail on the rivers and Bay on the Chesapeake. Thanks, Jamie

Seth

Sustaining Partner
35-2 racing sails

Before I retired from sailmaking (at Doyle) I built a very fast main, 100% blade, 155% AP genoa, Airex 600 AP spinnaker and a daisy staysail/windseeker for "Providence" here in Chicago. The boat has won or placed in most of the recent Mac races with them.

If you go to Chuck at Doyle Chesapeake and tell him you would like the sails Seth did for Providence in Chicago he can call John (now running the Chicago loft) and get the designs. Or, Chuck can design his own sails for you.

My feeling is that Bacon is a quality sailmaker for cruising sails, but they don't have a racing R&D department and if you want "evolved", competitive racing sails you should go to a name brand sailmaker (Doyle, UK, Quantum or North).

There are also some regional guys who have well developed racing sails (Ullman, EP, Haarstick, etc.), and they will definitely do a good job also, so I would stick with a sailmaker known for racing sails if that is what you want. They will have decades of successful designs for boats like yours, and the odds of them getting it right the first time are better.

Good luck