• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Furling Jib

ragamuffin

Member II
Hi all I am looking at adding a smaller furling jib to my inventory the 155 can get a little un ruley here on lake Michigan when the wind pipes up. Even though I can reef it to 110 or 90 I don't like the drag it creates at the headstay. Would much rather have a 110 maybe 135 any ideas comments?

thomthod

Member II
That is really a good mix to have a 110 and a 135 even on roller furling. In our club we give an extra 3 points if you race the whole year with a 135 or less.

I have heard really good things about Bacon and assoc used sails. If you call them and negotiate you can make an offer of 375 on a 500 dollar sail. Most of thier sails are in really good shape!

Thom

Blooz Traveler
E29

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ragamuffin,

I am having a 110% built by Santa Cruz Sails in the next month. We get strong wind (25+) pretty regularly here in Santa Cruz during the spring and summer and my E27 is much happier with the 135% jib furled to 110% or so in those conditions. I think a 110% is a good move.

"Lotus Flower" also has a furling asymmetrical so I'm not too worried about the reduced sail area for the lighter stuff.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ragamuffin,

I ordered it during winter with no rush. I can't remember exactly how much it was but right around $1100. You can get sails cheaper but Santa Cruz Sails are high quality high performing sails.

The 110% I'm having made will have no foam in the luff and no sun cover. I made the decision to have a sock made for my existing 135% (Rolly Tasker whose suncover rotted after 2 years) knowing that I would be having a 110% built. The cost of the sock was a little less than the sun covers for the two sails.