• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 under Cape May bridges?

Willpatten

Member II
On our way back from the Bahamas and I'd love to cut the Cape May corner by taking the canal. The bridges are exactly the same height at high water as my masthead as best I can tell: 55 feet.
Tide swings on the days I expect to reach the canal are 5 feet. If I wait for low tide, which is middle of the day, I can easily get under the bridges.

Is this a foolhardy idea? Anyone done it?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
<snip>

Is this a foolhardy idea? Anyone done it?

I've never done it there but my E38 fits under bridges that are around 55' above the water. We have one that's 100 yards from our marina (Spokane Street) and we've also been under span that connects Indian Island to the Olympic Peninsula. You've got the right idea, but please, check the water depths at low tide, just to make sure that keel won't scrape. It's a pretty tight squeak at low water at the Indian Island bridge, but we made it.

Go slow. :cool: :scared:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Cape May Canal Bridges

I researched the Cape May Canal Bridge heights for an Ericson 36RH (estimated mastheight ~52.5', draft 6'3") delivery that never happened by googling
"cape may canal site:sailnet.com" and
"cape may canal site:cruisersforum.com"
and got lots of info.

There is some discussion of whether the actual bridge clearance is 54 or 55 feet. A mastheight of 53.5 just pinged the tip of the VHF/windvane wire at near HIGH tide. How accurate is your masthead estimate? Don't forget your non-flexible masthead equipment! If you have the shoal keel, I would be comfortable at low tide.

I was limited to mid-high tide by the deep draft. FWIW, I had decided this was NOT the place to measure the actual mast height and canal depth at the same time!!

Mark

robjpowell

Member II
Its been 4 years since I bought my E35-2 up to Boston from Baltimore so I am somewhat out of date. Our problem was not mast height but shoaling. Even with a ~5' draft we touched twice between the Delaware and Cape May township. I would be seeking local, current, knowledge before trying it again.

Rob

O_Scott

I have done that bridge in our previous E38, back in '95 on our way to the Bahamas. As I recall, we too were quite anxious, but we transited near dead low, and it went fine.

We had more problems hitting the bottom or sunken trees with our 4' 11" wing than we did with the bridges.

Good Luck.

Oreon Scott
Marblehead, MA
"Knot Again" previously "Scott Free"

... If the canal has silted up, will that make it more likely you'll hit the bridge?? ;^}

Willpatten

Member II
Thanks

Thanks for the responses. While it seems I might easily get under the bridge, it would be at the cost of running aground so I'll forego the canal.
I've spent too much time in the "ditch" recently. While walking the dog in Coinjock a bird flew by chirping just like my depth alarm. I immediately tensed up and looked around for the channel. No more skinny water please.