• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LED cabin fixtures

Mikebat

Member III
Found some good ones, thought I'd pass along my review.

EuroLED Dual Color Red/White Lamp
Hella-images-07-036.jpg

This Hella fixture is nice and bright, and has four dimmer levels for each color. controlled by built-in touch-sensitive switches. The white light casts a noticeable beam or spot, but the spot is 3-4 feet wide. The red light casts an even illumination all about the cabin that is perfect for night vision. There's a single LED for the white light and a ring of 6 LEDs for red. Color temperature of the white light is neutral, about the same as a halogen bulb. I replaced my single incandescent dual-festoon-bulb fixture in the overhead with two of these fixtures (and so I have a hole in the liner to patch now). One is over the galley sink and the other is over the open floor space between the hatch and the settees.

I also discovered that having put in a too-high-wattage bulb (a 14W festoon meant for an exterior nav light) had almost set the liner on fire beneath the base of the fixture. It was severely scorched, close to having been burned. The plastic fixture base itself was partly melted too. The new LED fixture gets very warm to the touch but not so warm that I can't hold it. Only downside so far is that they are pretty darned expensive. But it looks like you get what you pay for when it comes to LED cabin lights.

Auckland LED Reading Lamp
Auckland_b.jpg

I got one of these Imtra brand lamps to try out, and it's great. I will get two more to replace the two remaining reading lamps in my cabin. It's as bright as a standard bayonet bulb, but not as bright as the bayonet spotlight bulb I have in my reading lamps now. The light is quite warm, just a touch cooler than the incandescents I have now. The lamp looks great too.

Mikebat

Member III
Hallelujah! At the Strictly Sail Pacific show this weekend in Oakland, I picked up some 42mm festoon LED bulbs from an outfit called LunaSea, and they kick butt!

LunaSea Lighting, festoon bulbs

yhst-70537702063648_2150_20150902

I got the 42mm Cool White 6-LED festoon, and it is GREAT! Same color as a halogen and just as bright. The diffuser lens in my original equipment dome fixtures spreads the light out really nicely, no hotspots. They also have 3-LED and 9-LED versions, also in a warm white which is a good match for the reading lamp I mentioned in my previous post.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
This company also has replacement LED bulbs:

http://store.marinebeam.com/

I used their LEDs to replace all the bulbs in my cabin without having to replace the fixtures. They also now have a red/white switching LED which can be used in an existing fixture. Wish they had that when I bought the first six...

Sven

Seglare
LED dome lights

We went with LED dome lights throughout to replace the fluorescent fixtures and the 3 incandescent red-white fixtures. I know Mainsail has had trouble with some Dr. LED products (and so have we) but these have lasted quite a while.

We got them from Defender and the one that was defective was replaced. We've now used them for a while and we're very happy with them. At full brightness they use a (reported) 5 W while the fluorescent ones used 16 W each and the low setting is adequate for reading at a reported 2.5 W per fixture.

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_4078.jpg
    DSC_4078.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_4079.jpg
    DSC_4079.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_4080.jpg
    DSC_4080.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_4081.jpg