• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window Seal Replacement

Joe Benedict

Member II
I need to replace the outer window (port) seals on my 1977/78 Ericson 29. According to the Owner's Manual a foam tape is to be used. In looking at some of the past postings people have had difficulty with ports that have been sealed with a silicon type caulking. Does anyone have any experience with the original tape method? What tape did you use?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Closed cell tape such as that sold at Home Depot has been used successfully by others for the same task.
I caution against using polyurethane (4200) or polyurethane/silicon by itself, as the fitting between the frame and boat is not fine enough, and they tend to start leaking again when the bond breaks within a few months.

jmessick

leaky port repair

I used closed cell foam tape to fix leaky ports, and it works great. The idea is to gasket the port to the boat and not to try to glue or calk it. This lets the port float on the cabin house and still stay sealed. The probelm with calk is that it looses it seal as the boat flexes from sailing or temperature changes.

Try it, you'll like it.