• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hull Number (HIN)

thomthod

Member II
I tried looking thru the threads to see if there is a breakdown on how to decipher what the hull number of the boat is but could not find anything.

I have a 71 E-29 and I think I see it as 150 something which would make sense in 1971, seeing they built about 600+. Does any one knoe how to find this out?

Thanks

Thom

"blooz Traveler"

E29

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Try looking at the tiller plate on the cockpit sole. Mine (1972 E27 #195) was there.

thomthod

Member II
There is like a shiny aluminum plate with a number on that is under the middle bilge cover. Ill see if that number matches to the title.

T

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I also found my number written on various pieces of woodwork like the plywood cushion backs. I'm not advocating you tear the boat apart of course but it was nice confirmation when I found it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Number, who's got a number

I also found my number written on various pieces of woodwork like the plywood cushion backs. I'm not advocating you tear the boat apart of course but it was nice confirmation when I found it.

Same here -- written with black marker on the bottom of the removable bilge access piece.
I believe this was just a convenience for the cabinet shop, since our HIN was molded into the upper transom and also on one of the inside moldings.

LB

boatboy343

71 e27 - where is serial number?

cannot find serial number- not on transom and not inside anywhere
is outboard model with cut out transom

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Combined...

cannot find serial number- not on transom and not inside anywhere
is outboard model with cut out transom

Hope you do not mind, but I combined your inquiry with an earlier thread on this same subject. Actually, there are several other related threads also. Early 70's was a transition period for boat builders to start putting HIN's on their hulls.

Best
Loren

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Same here -- written with black marker on the bottom of the removable bilge access piece.
I believe this was just a convenience for the cabinet shop, since our HIN was molded into the upper transom and also on one of the inside moldings.

LB

Yah, I don't think thats official... on ours (hull #163) we have pieces of both hull #166 and #161 evidently from whats written on the back of some of the cabinetry. :egrin:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yeah, I think in the 70's things were more generic. The backs of most of my wood pieces just have "29" written on them. BTW, I recently tore apart some of the cabinetry and found that things were shimmed up with folded up cigarette cartons. Now I don't feel as badly about my joinery skills. :rolleyes:

Glyn Judson

HiIN

Cory & all, I too had the experience of so called parts from other boats in mine. Although there are no scribbled hull numbers on the underside of any of our drawers, the original 13 gallon holding tank was felt marked identifying it as being for an E25+. It turns out that ours took the same tank. By coincidence, I replaced the original tank in our former boat, a 1979 E25+ with an identical one from the factory here in SoCal, Ronco Plastics. Fast forward a few years and I did the exact same thing with the mis-labeled tank in our current boat. In both cases, the tanks were identical to the originals and as such, were drop-ins. The advantage of the new ones over the factory originals is that they are now made with a wall thickness double that of the originals and less apt to crack at the lower fitting, the case with both of the original tanks, yuck!g Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA