• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cutting Wire Reinforced Hose

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Maybe try a bandsaw if you have one and you can take the hose to it.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
On smaller diameters I use a large-ish set of Dykes cutting pliers, nipping through the hose a bit at a time and the wire too. On larger hoses I use a hacksaw and finish with nipping the wire with the Dykes. If you grab the wire after cutting the hose with the hacksaw, pull the wire out and nip it off clean at the cut the wire will retract back into the hose a bit after cutting.

There is no easy way to deal with wire reinforced hose. Its just a PITA.
RT

Brian K

Member III
I don't have a band saw. Yesterday I cut an old piece of hose using my 12" DeWalt compound miter saw with an abrasive blade. This is something you'd want to do outside because you get a fair amount of rubber smoke with it. It would be best to have a little water on hand to cool the hose after cutting it. It did produce a nice cut but it's a little stinky. A metal cutting blade may be the real answer but I don't want to spend the money for one,,, then again,, hmmm. Anyway thanks for the input gentlemen.

Matey

Member III
Brian,

I replaced all my cockpit drain hoses and used a hacksaw and dykes. I marked the outside with a sharpie to guide a straight cut, then sawed it. When I ran into wire, I snipped it with the dykes. Worked pretty well.

Regards, Greg