• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

holding tank vent

sailorjdh

Member I
Need help in identifying where the holding tank vent is located on the 1989 E38 200 ....I have a raritan PHII...thanks

sailorjdh

Member I
answering my own question and then one more ?

Reviewing old posts I am assuming the external vent is on the transom next to the fuel tank vent port side up by rub rail....the problem i am having is the head bowl pump handle suddenly wouldn't pump I pumped out the holdingtank but no change at the head so one possibilty i am asuming is that the vent line is plugged.... if so best approach would be ? remove the line from the stern fitting and from the tank and try to flush the line ? any ideas are welcome. Thanks Jeff

Emerald

A quick test you can do to see if the tank is "vapor locked" with a clogged vent is unscrew the deck pump out fitting and see if you suddenly can pump. I have had spiders build nests in the outboard end of the vent, clogging it up.

sailorjdh

Member I
thanks for that idea

David
I will give that a try if the vent hose seems to be the problem then you would snake it back from the outboard end? Jeff

u079721

Contributing Partner
On our 1989 E38-200 there were three vents on the STARBOARD side of the transom, outboard just under the gunnel - fuel tank, CNG tank, and holding tank.

We once had the holding tank back up when the vent got plugged. What we found was that the vent had a fire-arrestor screen on it that was blocked with debris, and just removing the screen solved the issue.

After that it became a regular maintenance item to check the holding tank vent line for plugging. My method was to splice into the middle of the vent line between the tank and the transom vent, and then use a hand held Parr pump to pump water first in one direction, and then the other. That way I was sure it wasn't plugged at the transom end by spiders, or the tank end by a splash of solid waste.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Loosening the deck pumpout cover sounds like a good idea, I'll have to remember that. My pump has occasionally done the same kind of thing; pump feels locked up as if the valve to select tank or overboard is in the overboard position but the through hull is closed.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
There's an air intake on the side of the pump housing - if its blocked it locks the handle. Take something small, like a paper clip and lightly poke it. For a more permanent fix, spray some Superlube in while pumping - its good for the insides as well.