• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New rudder in work

Sven

Seglare
This picture shows the new rudder that is being built by Dennis Choate's company.

I couldn't get to the same angle for the second shot but it still pretty much shows the relative shapes. Dennis' shape is 14" deeper and less of a barn door design. The new one should actually be in the prop wash rather than just above it.

You can also see where the new above-waterline scuppers are being installed, in the boot stripe. They are also the full 1.5" each, rather than the 1" drains that were stock. Hope 1.5" will be enough as 2" is a lot more expensive.

New rubrail too. The keelcooler is installed. The DST transducer arrives tomorrow.

No wonder all our money is disappearing ! :egrin:

-Sven

Attachments

• New-rudder.jpg
    New-rudder.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 286

Mike Tinder

Member II
Very Cool

I too cannot wait to hear how the boat handles. That should really make a huge difference. I know our E-39B is hell to back out of our slip. I will be posting some pictures soon of my galley changes. Very cool all the good work you are doing to that beautiful boat/home.

Mike
S/V Sea Maid
E-39B

Sven

Seglare
I'll definitely report on the sea-trial !

Dennis assures me that the difference will be very noticeable and he's one of the more credible people I've talked to on the phone for quite a while. I really liked him and immediately trusted him.

The only underwater thing we are not taking care of is the prop strut location. We simply can't swing another $4-6K to install a new strut closer to the prop right now. However, she is a sailboat and with diesel prices where they are we will be sailing as often as possible, not just for the peace and quiet :egrin:

-Sven

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Sven,

Is that your boat that the modified rudder is on? If so that was really fast!

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark,

Is that your boat that the modified rudder is on? If so that was really fast!

Yes, they are doing it i place. Dennis said the actual work would be about 3 days. Curing and painting is after that.

If it was anyone else I would have wondered if it was wise to do it without taking it off and stripping the SS skeleton. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing and he knows our plans so I'm not going to interfere.

-Sven

ChrisS

Member III
You're in for a thrill.

Sven--

I just got a new rudder by Foss with a very similar shape as the one you now have. Are you ready for much improved handling? Mine is like a new boat.

I did beef up the rudder tube bit, adding a few layers of cloth on the inside of the hull, but when I removed the original rudder it was in great shape. Unless you have reason to believe that your rudder was structurally compromised I wouldn't sweat adding onto it.

Have fun--steering the boat will be less or a chore, especially downwind. Diminished drag and more control, better lift. Well worth the upgrade.

Sven

Seglare
Chris,

Yes, Nancy was surprised that I got more excited about the new rudder than any of the other work we're having done in the yard :egrin: I really thought we'd have to haul again later for a new rudder when Dennis said his folks could do it in three days.

Dennis did say that it is easy to lop off several inches if needed. He thinks the 14" might be overkill but if it gives some control in reverse I'll gladly accept the additional drag ! I always think ahead to have an escape route wherever we go, but with the old rudder that meant going almost nowhere without springlines and boathooks out in case we'd have to back out of trouble :egrin:

Oh, it was even worse before the maxprop !!

-Sven

Last edited:

belafonte

Follow up?

I'm sorry if you already followed up on another thread but I'm really curious how the rudder modification has helped.

Belafonte

Sven

Seglare
I'm sorry if you already followed up on another thread but I'm really curious how the rudder modification has helped.

The difference is well worth the investment. She tracks much better in following seas ... much much better. She also backs up with a little bit of control.

I do need to note that ever since we wrapped the prop on a sandline Senta now pulls to port whenever we motor over 5 knots. The divers can see nothing wrong and when we sent the GoPro camera down there we recorded nothing obviously amiss. However, when we were stern-to-the-dock for the Cape Horn installation it did look as if the rudder is not quite vertical. It could be that when wrapping we bent the rudder itself and that is causing the pull. Before that we were completely happy with the new characteristics.

-Sven

belafonte

Sounds great! minus the wrapping of course. I've just emailed Foss and they say that they have a new shape since the last e39 rudder they've made. I'm excited to see the new shape. It would be amazing to get some control in reverse.
Belafonte

Sven

Seglare
Sounds great! minus the wrapping of course. I've just emailed Foss and they say that they have a new shape since the last e39 rudder they've made. I'm excited to see the new shape. It would be amazing to get some control in reverse.

We didn't go with Foss but had it done locally by Dennis Choate. You can see the shape that they built superimposed on a picture before the 14" extension:

New-rudder.jpg

-Sven

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I didn't realize you had this done, but I did notice Senta II was obviously well-hung! Being stern-in, I couldn't help but notice.I also noticed the stern is very pinched in the old IOR style, much like mine. How is she downind?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The only underwater thing we are not taking care of is the prop strut location. We simply can't swing another $4-6K to install a new strut closer to the prop right now.

Wouldn't moving the strut back also necessitate making it longer? I would think that might cause its own problems.