• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Spreader length?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know the exact length of the e27 spreaders? On close inspection it appears that my spreaders have been cut down (the edges are rough as if hacksawed). I will be installing new spreaders soon and want to know where to start.

Thanks!

Doug

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Doug,

I will try to check my spreaders tomorrow. I do not have the tabernacle rigging set-up anymore so it isn't as easy as it would have been :). I might stay on the boat tomorrow night so I won't have the measurements before Wednesday.

By the way that was an interesting thread on the Plastic Classic forum regarding spreader length.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
If you make the spreaders longer than present length the upper shrouds may not have enough length to accomidate the longer spreader. Make sure you have and inch or so or length you can let out at the turnbuckle.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Jeez Mark please don't drop or climb the mast just to get the measurements! I don't need them that badly! But if you can easily get measurements somehow without doing that I would appreciate it :egrin:

Thanks for the reminder on lengthening the rigging Randy. I will be getting all new standing rigging though, so the new rigging will account for any changes.
Doug

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Doug,

I won't be dropping the mast :), but I might be able to push a tape measure against the mast and along the spreader, we'll see.

Dropping the mast with a tabernacle system is very easy. I used to do it twice a day whenever I went sailing.

Attachments

• mast downsm.JPG
    mast downsm.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 174

Guy Stevens

Calculate the spreader length is easy.

Measure from the side wall of the mast to the chain plate, that is a good minimum spreader length. You can also use the partner hole for this.

You can of course go longer, which is better, but if you exceed the width of the hull it can cause problems when tied to a wall..

Guy
:)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Doug,

I tried to measure the spreaders on my E27 but there was too much wind and by too much wind I mean 1 or 2 knots. The tape just kept blowing off.

Guys method sounds easiest.

One thing I thought about about after leaving the boat was that I could have measured the upper shrouds horizontally at the cabin top and up as high as I could reach. That would indicate if they where parallel or not.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for trying, Mark! And thanks Guy, that's great advice. Maybe I'll sneak around the docks with a tape measure and try to find an E27 or two...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for trying, Mark! And thanks Guy, that's great advice. Maybe I'll sneak around the docks with a tape measure and try to find an E27 or two...

Maybe sometime I could introduce you to one or two of the E-27 owners at RCYC... of course they might hand you a membership application while showing you their boats...
:cool:
(We have eight Ericson's and more would be welcome...)

LB

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Well, that might be OK, since I will be looking for a place to moor the boat soon! :egrin:

crznhwy1

Member II
E27 spreaders

I have the mast down right now on my 73 E27. I can measure the spreaders but I'm out of town right now. I'll be home tomorrow night. The spreaders are in my garage.

Mike

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Mike, that would be great. I measured distance from mast step to former chainplate location (I moved them to the outside of the boat due to core damage around them and potential crevice corrosion. The distance was ~46.5 inches. Distance to new chainplates measure ~48 inches. My old spreader is about 35 inches. So that is a pretty major discrepancy! But when I look at photos of the boat when it was rigged, there is a pretty pronounced inward cant to the upper shrouds, though. Hopefully this was normal and the spreaders had not been cut down by a foot!

Doug

dt222

Member III
Measurements

Doug,

Finally measured mine.

the spreader strut is 31 7/16". At the end of the aluminum strut is a cast metal insert that is pointed at the end with a channel that the wire shroud sits in. The length of that insert if 4" so the total combined length is
35 7/16".

HTH

Don

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thank you Don! So it appears that my spreaders were cut down by about half an inch or so. One of my spreader brackets was damaged (and repaired) so I bet the end of the spreader was damaged too and had to be cut off. Looks like some angle on the lower portion of the upper shroud is in the original design.

Doug

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Mike. thats great confirmation. Brion Toss in the Riggers Apprentice gives two methods to determine spreader length. Method 1 is to measure the distance between the spreader base and the upper attachment point and divide by 5. Method 2 is to figure between 40 and 50 percent of the beam at the chainplates (like the 50% that Guy said).

I measured using both methods today.

Method 1 works out to a spreader length of 36.9 inches.(184.5 inches/5)
Method 2 works out to a spreader lenght of between 40 and 50 (for my boat which measures ~100 inches between my externally mounted C/P's)
Method 2 for C/P's in the standard location would yield a spreader length of 37.2 to 46.5 inches.

Doug

Last edited:

JacknRose

Doug,
this has nothing to do with this thread. I am trying to private message you in reply your messahe to me but I cannot send as your message file is full. Please delete some so I can message you or you can contact me at stxboats@gmail.com. Thanks. Jack