• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Channel Islands Harbor to Marina Del Rey

Fortune

I will be making a passage in my E35 MKII from Channel Islands Harbor to Marina Del Rey Memorial Day Weekend, yes I know... the timing is unavoidable. Any tips, tricks, warnings, thoughts? Anyone made the trip?
Tim

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I, too, am interested in this. Not for racing purposes, but I would like to make that trip as a way to test my navigational ability. And my marina has a reciprocal agreement with a sister marina in MDR so I would have a place to dock when I get there. :)

Fortune

I hope with good winds we'll have a nice 6-8-hour downwind romp. A nice reach would be more appreciated.
I plan to give Port Hueneme and the missile and firing range a wide berth. The chart calls for a three-mile safe zone. No problem.
I'll stay off shore past Point Mugu then start shaping a course for the marker 1/2 mile off Point Dume. From there, with a minor course change, straight across to Marina Del Rey. I've laid in the waypoints and created the course in my GPS. I just thought If anyone has made the trip I might get some tips: I haven't run south past the Naval Base so I don't want to tick off anyone with a 50 caliber machine gun on their bow. And, I have never entered Marina Del Rey. I'm an East coast sailor and just bought my MKII a few months ago. I've been out on her several times for daysails and sea-trials but mostly have been getting her in shape with some refits and maintenance. I do actually have bow and stern anchors rigged, proper lines and halyards, etc. I want to enter MDR under my own power, not SeaTow's. But, the best laid plans even on a proper ship do have a way of going south. Thanks for your help!
Tim

windjunkee

Member III
Tim,

I've never done it straight. I've gone the other way, starting from Redondo Beach and stopping off in CI harbor for the night on our way to Santa Barbara.
The entire run is almost dead downwind. The wind gets light along the Malibu coast so angle off when you pass Pt. Dume before jibing in on the outer breakwall of MdR.
I've never run into any problems with Pt. Mugu or Port Hueneme. I stay seaward of the big bell buoys off the Port but otherwise, noone has harassed us.
As for your approach to MdR, there is nothing tricky about it. Just like CI harbor, there is an outer breakwall. Favor the southern entrance over the Northern.
Other than that, enjoy the sail. Its downwind, down swell and down current so it should be a smooth ride.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason, E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Jim knows.......

Jim is the guy to take the advice from- he is local and knows what he is doing.

BTW-from memory, your plan is fine-for best breeze stay a bit offshore after Pt Dume as you parallel the the Malibu coast-it can get light in there. If you pass Pt. Dume 2-3 miles off, and then steer for a point 1 mile SW of Redondo Bech harbour for about half the distance between Pt. Dume and MDR, then turn for the MDR breakwater it should work fine.

Jim-what do you think?

Cheers,

S

Last edited:

Fortune

Good local information trumps a full boat

Thanks Jim and Seth,
That's just what I was hoping for.
Tim