• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electrical panel housekeeping

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Are we to spray these many connections, old or new, ugly or beautiful, with something like...CorrosionX? WD 40?

Pat C.

Member III
I felt I had to move the battery switch given the previous construction. Three large gauge battery cables were thread thru a small bulkhead opening without chafe protection, wired directly to the batteries without fuse protection. Seemed like an electrical fire waiting to happen.Just use all tinned wire/connectors and components and you shouldn't need to treat the connections with anything. Just keep them clean and dry.

KWay

Member II
Electrical Panel Upgrade

So when we bought our boat the DC panel was a mess. The AC panel was unsafe romex number 14 wire and a Square D residential Load Center.
Survey did not even mention one word. So the first project was to pull out all the wiring and install new. one 250 ft roll of #12 wire and 250ft roll #12 duplex and 100ft roll of #12 three strand ( ac )later all of the interior wiring was replaced. At the same time I built a new Panel with Blue Sea components. Project was well worth freezing my butt off during the winter.

Attachments

• Work2007 021.jpg
    Work2007 021.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Work2007 020.jpg
    Work2007 020.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Boat fall 2007 019.jpg
    Boat fall 2007 019.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 192
  • AutoPilot 021.jpg
    AutoPilot 021.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 138
  • AutoPilot 020.jpg
    AutoPilot 020.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 113

lnill

Member III
Panel

I retired my 1987 38-200 last winter and replaced the panel with a blue sea unit mounted in a "door" as others have mentioned. I found a lot of wire that was bare copper ( no tin). Badly corroded. I still have the old panel which seems ok functionally. I would be happy to send if receiver pays shipping.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was in a reasonable cheery mood this morning, but after viewing these pix, some depression is settling in.

(Sigh...)

It would appear that I'm not fully qualified to own a sailboat! Or at least to try to work on one.
:rolleyes:

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sorry, lads. This was a very useful early thread for me, just bringing it up to date for the next guy....