• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 broken Spreader Bracket

robfrey1

I just sold my E-27 in anticipation of purchasing an E-30 Plus. The bad news is while inspecting the 27 with the new owner we discovered the spreader bracket had cracked. I've been doing the google search for some time to find a replacement and haven't had success. Any idea's?

update (3/23/2011 9:40pm). Once again, I jumped in with a new post instead of researching the old ones. I think I have some excellent sources now for replacements. RWF

Last edited:

Harold Battarbe

Broken Ericson 27 spreader bracket

I too have a broken Ericson 27 spreader bracket. Would you kindly share your source with me.

Harold

Vagabond39

Member III
Spreader Brackets

Buzz Ballenger
Ballenger Spar Systems, Inc.
215 Walker Street
Watsonville, Ca 95076
(831) 763-1196
buzzballenger@att.net
He will furnish a new bracket & spreaders at a reasonable price. You will find many references to him on this site.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Or call Lefiell manufacturing

Rodney Hugera is the sales rep for marine parts

You can Reach him at:
562-921-3411

robfrey1

These spreader bars/brackets were cheaper then any others I've researched.......

After my spreader bracket cracked in two, I researched replacing the bracket and found that I could order both bar and bracket for the spreader from www.dwyermast.com for under $200. Easy to install. I'll try to post pictures soon.

Here is what I ordered:
DH 2503 - Airfoil Spreader 32" Long
2 Ordered @ $34.55/ea
Item Total - $69.10

DH 2333 - Airfoil Spreader Bracket
2 Ordered @ $44.50/ea
Item Total - $89.00

Sub Total: $158.10
Shipping & Handling: $20.37
Order Total: $178.47

Harold Battarbe

Broken Ericson 27 spreader bracket

I too have a broken Ericson 27 spreader bracket. Would you kindly share your source with me.

Harold
I found a supplier for the Ericson 27 Spreader Bracket. See below:
That item is no longer available, but we have developed a retrofit kit complete with new Spreaders. For details, See Kenyon Spars SP2.2 Airfoil Spreader Section.

Replacement Spreader & Bar Kit for Ericson 27, to replace Cast Spreader Bases (no longer available). Kit includes (2) SP2.2 Spreaders (35 3/4” Mast to Wire), (1) 0 deg Spreader Bar, (2) Reinforcing Plates, Pins & rivets.
K-SP2.2KE27: $399.

-- Sincerely,Rig Rite Customer ServiceRigRite.comRigRite@gmx.comP: 401.739.1140F: 401.739.1149</pre>

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Ericson 27 spreader bracket Broken

Go figure. After I recently sold my boat the new owners allowed me to take her out for one last sail. Unfortunately I got distracted and clipped the port spreader on a shallow marker at a slow speed in LA Harbor. I have contacted SeaTek Rigging for a inspection and estimate. This breaks my heart to tell the new owners that the boat will be out of commission for a while, especially at the beginning of summer.:esad:

Looking for Ericson 27 spreader brackets. Has anyone found a supplier for the original brackets?

I talked to Buzz Ballinger and he said the brackets are not available but he said what they would do is a thru bar system.

I found this info on the Ericsson Yacht Owner’s site from Rig Rite:

Replacement Spreader & Bar Kit for Ericson 27, to replace Cast Spreader Bases (no longer available). Kit includes (2) SP2.2 Spreaders (35 3/4” Mast to Wire), (1) 0 deg Spreader Bar, (2) Reinforcing Plates, Pins & rivets.
K-SP2.2KE27: $399. Sincerely,Rig Rite Customer ServiceRigRite.comRigRite@gmx.comP: 401.739.1140F: 401.739.1149.

I am anxious to get a estimate asap and complete the repairs for the new owners.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSCN2215.jpg
    DSCN2215.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN2218.jpg
    DSCN2218.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 124

Guy Stevens

Hmmm

The broken spreader bracket is the least of the worries here, the dent that the incident caused in the mast is much more concerning.
Especially as that is a high load compression area of the mast, it supports the compression of the spreaders.

Another spreader bracket can be fabricated or found, however there isn't a way to get that dent out of there!

Also a thru bar system is not going to provide the external support of the lowers that the current spreader bracket does.

Best bet for the bracket is a fabrication from a reliable fabricator, and not trying to redesign this area.

While this is a cast fitting now, it would be possible to fabricate a functional equivalent out of AL.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
The broken spreader bracket is the least of the worries here, the dent that the incident caused in the mast is much more concerning.
Especially as that is a high load compression area of the mast, it supports the compression of the spreaders.

Another spreader bracket can be fabricated or found, however there isn't a way to get that dent out of there!

Also a thru bar system is not going to provide the external support of the lowers that the current spreader bracket does.

Best bet for the bracket is a fabrication from a reliable fabricator, and not trying to redesign this area.

While this is a cast fitting now, it would be possible to fabricate a functional equivalent out of AL.

Guy

Guy I hope your wrong. The first estimate came in at $1900. excluding the yard and crane fees. They have examined the mast and think that they can press out the dented area on the mast. See attached. The shallow marker I hit was something like this one that is in San Diego. But it was much higher and far from shore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 1.29.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 1.29.10 PM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 430639.jpg
    430639.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dents in the mast

Dents in the mast from these cast spreader brackets is well documented. My 73' 27 had them. They were slight. I changed the brackets and spreaders out for ones from Dwyer. I fabricated a stainless steel sleeve, mounted the new brackets on that incorporating the existing through bolt. Yes, the stainless was isolated from the aluminum mast. Probably not much help to you Jeff but I thought I would throw it out there for others. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Real downer.:crying:

Attachments

• PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 92
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 206
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 139

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Dents in the mast from these cast spreader brackets is well documented. My 73' 27 had them. They were slight. I changed the brackets and spreaders out for ones from Dwyer. I fabricated a stainless steel sleeve, mounted the new brackets on that incorporating the existing through bolt. Yes, the stainless was isolated from the aluminum mast. Probably not much help to you Jeff but I thought I would throw it out there for others. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Real downer.:crying:

That is some impressive work. Thank you for sharing. You know it's kind of funny. That shallow marker I hit had a big piece of someone else's Dacron sail on it after we scraped by it. We thought it was our sail but thank God it was not. So we were not the first one to hit that thing in recent days. I have sailed past those damn things going in and out of the LA Harbor for the past 14 years and never had an encounter with one until last Saturday after a brief moment of distraction from a passenger. I have been told that there has been some discussion about removing them because they were originally for big ships that no longer traverse that part of LA Harbor. I believe the water is 16 feet deep there at low tide. The worst thing about this is I feel so bad for the new owners that have to wait for the repairs. :(

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Aluminum doublers

A set of Aluminum doubler plates on there would be a minimum reccomended repair, they will probably have to fab up a new spreader bracket, that metal is hard to weld, but they may have a good welder.

Even if the plates used to double the area are aluminum, which I would recommend over the stainless steel, you still want to isolate them from the mast.

Hope it all works out well.

Guy

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dents in the mast

If the dimples are severe enough to the point of compromising the integrity of the mast then welding aluminum plates would be the wiser move. I don't believe that mere dimple removal will be a sufficient repair. However if you want to be proactive and rid yourself of the problematic dimple causing brackets before they compromise things there are a number of reasonable alternatives.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Jeff,

What a shame! Doug "bigd14" installed the spreader kit from Ballenger and since I what to be like Doug when I growup I did it also ;-). I am very happy with it. Here is a link;
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...ader-Bar-for-E29&p=88665&highlight=#post88665

Thank you Mark, I will show this to my rigger. At this point he has suggested completely replacing the spreaders and brackets with a new set for a Catalina 30'. The Buzz Ballenger set up is what I would prefer to have done. This helps a lot.

-Jeff

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Sorry to hear about your accident Jeff. Hope you get it all settled soon and put it behind you. Sailing with channel markers is a fact of life here on the delta. I have had many close calls. Current, tide, and wind direction changes make them appear to move on you. I had a guest once ask if I was trying to get close to the marker? I of course was not and narrowly missed it by about 4'. Also, I know of two friends sailing a Catalina 30, both with 20 years worth of sailing on the delta hit a marker dead on. Both thought the other saw it! It happens.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Christian Lloyd, who sailed his 27 Mexico- Hawaii-Alaska, later ran into a channel marker off Santa Barbara and nearly sank. Actually holed the boat.

Put enough time on the water and stuff happens.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jib Kelly is one of the Rigger's I am getting estimates from Jib told me that there is a petition going around to get the two shallow markers that are currently in the "Hurricane Gulch" area of San Pedro harbor removed, as well as some other obsolete buoys. The reason those two shallow markers are there is because ships used to frequent that area, but I guess that's no more. When I first started sailing in and out of LA Harbor there were even more "hazards to navigation" like large barge buoys that were there from when they were dredging the Main Channel. When they were dredging the Main Channel they would dump the debris in that area and the barges would tie up on those buoys. The I get a copy of the petition I will share it here.

After I clipped that shallow marker last Saturday I looked back at it and I saw a big chunk of Dacron sail hanging on it. Thank God it was not my sail. Jib told me that a boat had hit it last Wednesday during the regular Wet Wednesday race. Jib said that particular shallow marker has been hit many times. Ugh I feel so bad that I have delayed the new owners from using the boat. :esad:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Jib Kelly is one of the Rigger's I am getting estimates from Jib told me that there is a petition going around to get the two shallow markers that are currently in the "Hurricane Gulch" area of San Pedro harbor removed, as well as some other obsolete buoys. The reason those two shallow markers are there is because ships used to frequent that area, but I guess that's no more. When I first started sailing in and out of LA Harbor there were even more "hazards to navigation" like large barge buoys that were there from when they were dredging the Main Channel. When they were dredging the Main Channel they would dump the debris in that area and the barges would tie up on those buoys. The I get a copy of the petition I will share it here.

After I clipped that shallow marker last Saturday I looked back at it and I saw a big chunk of Dacron sail hanging on it. Thank God it was not my sail. Jib told me that a boat had hit it last Wednesday during the regular Wet Wednesday race. Jib said that particular shallow marker has been hit many times. Ugh I feel so bad that I have delayed the new owners from using the boat. :esad:
Jeff,
I'm very sorry to hear about this. What a headache that you don't need. I sure hope you get this put behind you as quickly as possible.

Could you describe for me the location of this particular marker, maybe relative to some other landmarks? (I'd imagine you don't know the lat/lon.)

Thanks,
Alan

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff,
I'm very sorry to hear about this. What a headache that you don't need. I sure hope you get this put behind you as quickly as possible.

Could you describe for me the location of this particular marker, maybe relative to some other landmarks? (I'd imagine you don't know the lat/lon.)

Thanks,
Alan

Allan these pics show approximate locations where I indicated pink dots. Directly in the path of a reach to the harbor entrance from the west channel.

Attachments

• LA Harbor Shallow Markers.jpg
    LA Harbor Shallow Markers.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 70
  • spharborchart.jpg
    spharborchart.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 60