• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 broken Spreader Bracket

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Allan these pics show approximate locations where I indicated pink dots. Directly in the path of a reach to the harbor entrance from the west channel.
Got it, Jeff. Yeah, I pass by these all the time. I wasn't sure if those were the ones you had in mind; I thought maybe you were past Pier 400 or something.

I agree that it would be far better if these were removed. I've come close to them myself a few times.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Repairs Complete! Better than new!

Repairs Complete! Better than new! I ended up working with both the Rigging Companies in the LA Harbor area to complete the repairs. Jib Kelly with Kelly Marine and Allan Lindsay at Sea Tek Yachting, Inc. This turned out to be the best way to get the repairs done and expedited quickly. Kelly Marine handled the stepping of the mast and Sea Tek made the actual repairs to the spreader bracket. I forgot to take photos but I will post them later this week. Allan & Sea Tek did a amazing job and were able to weld the cracked port side bracket. Then they fabricated oval shaped doubler plates for the spreaders for both sides that fit the contour of the tear dropped shaped mast. I got to tell you there is no play in those spreaders at all now!

Jib Kelly suggested that if there were any other upgrades that the new owner wanted done, that this would be a good time to do it while the mast is down. The new owner had a new Garmin Wind Anemometer installed which required some special bracket fabrication to the mast head. With the installation of the new Anemometer transducer at the mast head, the mast head light had to be raised. Kelly Marine also installed a new VHF antenna. Kelly Marine then re stepped the mast and tuned the rig last Friday. I spent a long day on Saturday re connecting the wiring, running some new wiring and re installing the sails and running rigging. All just in time for the new owner to take the boat out on his Birthday which is today. Total cost to me for my F@#k up, just under $1900.00.

Anyway big Kudos to Sea Tek Yachting, Inc. & Kelly Marine. Although both companies are competitors to an extent. Allan & Jib are old friends and put the interests of their customers first. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

http://www.kellymarine.com/services/

http://www.seatek.info/services

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Repairs Complete! Better than new! I ended up working with both the Rigging Companies in the LA Harbor area to complete the repairs. Jib Kelly with Kelly Marine and Allan Lindsay at Sea Tek Yachting, Inc. This turned out to be the best way to get the repairs done and expedited quickly. Kelly Marine handled the stepping of the mast and Sea Tek made the actual repairs to the spreader bracket. I forgot to take photos but I will post them later this week. Allan & Sea Tek did a amazing job and were able to weld the cracked port side bracket. Then they fabricated oval shaped doubler plates for the spreaders for both sides that fit the contour of the tear dropped shipped mast. I got to tell you there is no play in those spreaders at all now!

Jib Kelly suggested that if there were any other upgrades that the new owner wanted done, that this would be a good time to do it while the mast is down. The new owner had a new Garmin Wind Anemometer installed which required some special bracket fabrication to the mast head. With the installation of the new Anemometer transducer at the mast head, the mast head light had to be raised. Kelly Marine also installed a new VHF antenna. Kelly Marine then re stepped the mast and tuned the rig last Friday. I spent a long day on Saturday re connecting the wiring, running some new wiring and re installing the sails and running rigging. All just in time for the new owner to take the boat out on his Birthday which is today. Total cost to me for my F@#k up, just under $1900.00.

Anyway big Kudos to Sea Tek Yachting, Inc. & Kelly Marine. Although both companies are competitors to an extent. Allan & Jib are old friends and put the interests of their customers first. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

http://www.kellymarine.com/services/

http://www.seatek.info/services
Jeff,
I am soooooo glad to hear that it all worked out for you. I know the unplanned expense is no fun, but I'm sure you felt especially bad for the new owner and wanted to do right by him. The fact that he was able to take care of some additional and important upgrades at the same time makes it somewhat of a disguised blessing for him and perhaps cushions some of the disappointment at the accident and down time. Anyway, I think you can feel good about the integrity with which you handled this and take satisfaction in as good an outcome as possible under the circumstances.

I've used Jib for a variety of rigging needs on my last three boats. I've never used Sea Tek, though I've certainly heard of them and seen their vans around the marina. Glad to hear you were satisfied with both.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Saw "Pride of Cucamonga" a few hours ago!

Hi, Jeff.

I passed Pride of Cucamonga a little before 3 pm today. I was inside the breakwater, heading east toward oil island White in Long Beach (where I'm presently anchored as I type this) and Pride was motorsailing west with a reefed main and no headsail. Were you on board? The guy at the helm waved to me and I waved back, but it wasn't until I could see the stern that I realized it was your old boat.

Anyway, the mast looked good from what I could see! :egrin:

--Alan

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi, Jeff.

I passed Pride of Cucamonga a little before 3 pm today. I was inside the breakwater, heading east toward oil island White in Long Beach (where I'm presently anchored as I type this) and Pride was motorsailing west with a reefed main and no headsail. Were you on board? The guy at the helm waved to me and I waved back, but it wasn't until I could see the stern that I realized it was your old boat.

Anyway, the mast looked good from what I could see! :egrin:

--Alan

Hi Alan, no I was not on the boat yesterday. I shared your message with Ed the new owner who was out celebrating his birthday with his now perfectly functioning E-27. After I read your post I told him he really needs to keep the name of the boat because "Pride Of Cucamonga" is famous in these waters.

Cheers Alan! :egrin:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hi Alan, no I was not on the boat yesterday. I shared your message with Ed the new owner who was out celebrating his birthday with his now perfectly functioning E-27. After I read your post I told him he really needs to keep the name of the boat because "Pride Of Cucamonga" is famous in these waters.

Cheers Alan! :egrin:
Glad the new owner is happy and all is well. That's one of the nicest 27's I've seen. It looked really sweet yesterday. I think the new owner is going to really enjoy that boat.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
You've got a rigger named Jib? Hahaha!
Maybe he has a Main partner? Genoa & Spinnaker work in the shop, except when they let them out, huh???

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Thank you for the lesson, Jeff. Sorry it happened. Also, sorry to see you leave the E27 ranks, I value your posts.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You've got a rigger named Jib? Hahaha!
Maybe he has a Main partner? Genoa & Spinnaker work in the shop, except when they let them out, huh???

Yup, Jib Kelly. Jib also has a Sister named Staysail. No I ma not kidding. Their Father was a avid sailor who gave them those names.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What I hit.

Okay all the repairs were made a few weeks ago and the rig is better than ever. But I thought you might like to see a photo of what I hit. Here it is the first of two in the area known as "Hurricane Gulch" near the entrance to LA Harbor. This shot was taken yesterday at high tide while some Cal 20's were racing. The tide was much lower when I clipped it with the port spreader on my old E-27. You can see it has taken a direct hit before. The day I hit it there was a nice big chunk of someone else's Dacron sail hanging on it. I understand that there is a petition to get these markers removed. :mad:

Attachments

• Shallow marker.jpg
    Shallow marker.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 189

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Spreader Bracket Repair Photos

I finally remembered to take photos of the Spreader Bracket Repairs. Once again great work by SeaTek Yachting Inc. http://www.seatek.info/services

Notice the doublers they applied to both sides so the starboard bracket would match repair to the damaged port bracket. These spreader brackets are now stronger than new! :grin:

My Yelp review: https://www.yelp.com/biz/seatek-yachting-los-angeles

Attachments

• DSCN2404.jpg
    DSCN2404.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN2405.jpg
    DSCN2405.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN2406.jpg
    DSCN2406.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN2411.jpg
    DSCN2411.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Spreader fix.

Jeff, That repair looks very substantial, I'm just sorry for you it had to be made. Earlier on in this thread you made mention of wanting to buy an E30+, have you done that yet and if so can you tell us the whole story? If you're willing to travel, I can hook you up with a couple of fine E31's but that's another story. We spent last week over at the island and missed seeing you and others there. We did bump into Eddie and his four little pups though. He cracked me up sitting on the back of a little vinyl inflatible dinghy with his flipper-clad feet dangling into the water and propelling himself backwards all over the mooring field while the pups contentedly sat in the boat checking out the world. Curious minds want to know about the E30+, Glyn

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, That repair looks very substantial, I'm just sorry for you it had to be made. Earlier on in this thread you made mention of wanting to buy an E30+, have you done that yet and if so can you tell us the whole story? If you're willing to travel, I can hook you up with a couple of fine E31's but that's another story. We spent last week over at the island and missed seeing you and others there. We did bump into Eddie and his four little pups though. He cracked me up sitting on the back of a little vinyl inflatible dinghy with his flipper-clad feet dangling into the water and propelling himself backwards all over the mooring field while the pups contentedly sat in the boat checking out the world. Curious minds want to know about the E30+, Glyn

Hi Glyn, I don't recall exactly my comment about the 30+. You may recall Greg Bauman and his 30+ "Regulus" who joined us for the 2009 Ericsson Yachts Gathering at Two Harbors. Greg sold his boat over a year ago and I was always impressed with the speed he got out of her. It is possible I was just promoting that Regulus was for sale. I am actually taking my time looking for a live aboard to retire on and go cruising with. I'm looking in the range of 35 to 40 footers. Preferably a real blue water boat. I do love the PSC 37's & 34's but not sure if I want to shell out that much. A Ericson 39B in my Marina is actually for sale for 45K. I have checked her out a couple of time now but I have yet to call the broker. I'm taking my time and I am in no hurry to get the next boat which will most likely be my last. In the mean time the new owners of "Pride Of Cucamonga" have graciously invited and encourage me to use the Pride. They even put me on the insurance policy. Wow! Even after I broke her. :0 The new owners have upgraded her with all new Garmin electronics, self tailing winches, new main halyard winch, rope clutches, new non skid decks, life lines and more. As a trade off I continue to assist in the Pride's maintenance. I had a great day sail with her yesterday.

I had to write Eddie off. He's a bit of a nut, but you probably know that. Great to hear from you Glyn. :grin:

Here's the listing for the 39B:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=1704&url=

Last edited:

Bookbinder54024

Pomme de Mer

Replaced broken spreader bracket by cutting the air foil portion, that which slips into the spreader from the base and welded it to a new base. The base is 5/16" aluminum plate with a weld bead on each edge, back side, to account for curvature of the mask, making it sit snugly. Fits spreader perfectly, far more sound than the original and looks like it means business.