• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help! The Jib is killing me!

IslandTime29

Member II
Here is my issue. I single hand my Ericson 29, about 90% of the time. My wife loves sailing, but being that we have an 18 month old daughter and another one due in 4 weeks, when I get to go sailing, I'm alone or she has her hands full.

Getting the Jib up and and down is the worst part of the day. Not having the spare $3,000 I have been quoted to install a roller furling, I'm up for ideas.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has an idea to help with the jib going up and down?
I was wondering if there is a type of track system like for the mainsail?

Just anything to make the jib slide up and down loosely without me having to leave the helm to raise and lower it. All lines lead to the cockpit, so everything is right there, but the jib just won't travel up and down the current "track" very easy.

Thank you in advance!

Justin

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Some ideas

Hi Justin,

I had a similar challenge on my E27 (no furler). I solved it my installing a downhaul for the jib. It consisted of getting 5 small turning blocks and attaching them to the stanchion bases along the starboard side. The forward-most turning block is installed on the stemhead fitting. With some 1/4 line routed from the cockpit and forward through the blocks, I am able to attach the 1/4" line to the jib halyard. I route the line through the jib hanks and attach to the jib halyard with a bowline.

When I raise the jib (also from the cockpit), the 1/4" downhaul line goes up with the jib. When I have to get the jib down, I uncleat the jib halyard and start tugging on the downhaul line. Once the jib is down, I cleat the downhaul, and this keep the jib down.

Once the jib is down, I know the wind won't make it go back up, so all I have to do is roll-up the jib and secure it. It defnitely cut my time on the foredeck by half.

Why is it so difficult to raise the jib to begin with? Do you have to leave the cockpit to do so? If so, I would think you could install a few blocks on the deck and route the halyard back to the cockpit (and with something to cleat the halyard to). You'll likely need to put a small winch on the cabin top for that halyard as well.

Here is my issue. I single hand my Ericson 29, about 90% of the time. My wife loves sailing, but being that we have an 18 month old daughter and another one due in 4 weeks, when I get to go sailing, I'm alone or she has her hands full.

Getting the Jib up and and down is the worst part of the day. Not having the spare $3,000 I have been quoted to install a roller furling, I'm up for ideas.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone has an idea to help with the jib going up and down?
I was wondering if there is a type of track system like for the mainsail?

Just anything to make the jib slide up and down loosely without me having to leave the helm to raise and lower it. All lines lead to the cockpit, so everything is right there, but the jib just won't travel up and down the current "track" very easy.

Thank you in advance!

Justin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Like Ignacio I used a "jib downhaul" on our prior 26 footer with hanks.
I used 3/16" line. Same line leads as his description.

When I was solo sailing this would keep the sail from riding back up the headstay in strong winds and also let me positively lower it from the cockpit.
My halyards were all led aft to the rear top of the cabin, and I had a tiller pilot.

Note B: if the jib is difficult raise and lower now, time for a visit to the masthead to look at the sheave and axel there.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Justin,

The down-haul solution that Loren and Ignacio mentioned works well and is inexpensive. I added one to my previous boat an Ericson 23 Mk1.

Speaking of a furler, if you can install it yourself you should be able to add one for less than $3000. CDI makes an inexpensive furler that works fine and one for your boat should be less than $700.

Here are some photos of an E23 with jib down-haul; the first photo is under sail, the down-haul is the black line "woven" through the hanks. The other photo is at the dock, the black down-haul line (if you can see it) is attached to the halyard shackle (on the headstay a couple of feet off the deck) and runs down to a block at the bow stem then back through some fair-leads to the cockpit.

Attachments

• jib downhaul1.jpg
    jib downhaul1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 53
  • jib downhaul2.jpg
    jib downhaul2.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 63

steven

Sustaining Member
I had a jib downhaul on my former Hunter27. Worked great. Also had a canvas jib bag (matching the mainsl cover) at the bottom of the forestay. Pulled the jib down into the bag, zipped it closed (with the jib still hanked to the forestay) and left it on the foredeck.

--Steve

E33MikeOx

Member II
Justin:

I may be reading between the lines, but I wonder if your boat has a head foil. If that's the case, removing the foil and having jib hanks added to your jib will make a big difference - sailing short handed will be easier. Easier yet would be a roller furler installation - when you can swing it.

Mike Oxborrow
E-33

AleksT

Member III
You may also have a masthead sheave problem. If That sheave up there is not turning you are dragging your halyard across it with lots of friction.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Justin:

I may be reading between the lines, but I wonder if your boat has a head foil. If that's the case, removing the foil and having jib hanks added to your jib will make a big difference - sailing short handed will be easier. Easier yet would be a roller furler installation - when you can swing it.

Mike Oxborrow
E-33

I was about to suggest the same thing. If you really do have a "track" it's probably a head foil with a bolt rope on the luff - no? If so you can improve things a bit by cleaning the groove of the foil and lubing it, but better would be to remove it altogether and have hanks sewn on. Then add a downhaul and you should be good to go.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Justin:

Mike Oxborrow
E-33

Ding, ding

From Justin's album

picture.php

IslandTime29

Member II
Sorry I'm just posting, but had to run up to the boat last night, so wasn't able to get on here.

I do have the head foil, as you can see in the picture. Raising the jib isn't too bad, but getting it down is the issue.

I appreciate all the advice and help. I will be working on the jib hanks very soon I hope! That seems to be the best course of action.

I keep stashing away cash for a roller furler, but as with every boat that is 35 years old, things keep needing to be done first!

Thank you all once again!

Justin

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Curses, Foiled Again!

A foil. Yup.
Oblivious to reality. That's me...
Sheesh.
:rolleyes:

Back on "track" again, when we bought our boat it came with a HeadFoil. I changed to RF, and sold off the old foil for a fast $50.
Compared to the cost of new RF, that's not much, but every little bit helps!
As others have astutely pointed out, if you are low on coin, just remove foil and go with hanks.
Loren

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Justin,

Scratch what I said above I was thinking you had a hank-on headsail :).

Since you have a sail with a foil tape (not hanks) you might want to price both ways (hanks/furler). You will need to add hanks to your existing sail which will cost money or buy a new/used sail.

For the furler option you might be able to use your existing sail then the cost would be just the furler.

In my opinion, a furler is superior to hanks/downhaul for single-handing.

Have you checked Craigslist for a used furler?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Justin

Give me a call, if you go with a roller you might be able to use the sail you have as is with the roller. I have an old 150 that has hanks that I am not using that you might be able to use. I will be pickin' and sangin' from 18:00 to 21:00 tonight other than that I am available 09:00 to 23:00

Randy
H 770-574-5709
C 770-710-9863