• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 Traveler/Compainon Hatch Removal

Ericsean

Member III
I'm trying to tighten up my deck, stopping water leaks, and thought about trying to remove/reseal the companionway htch cover. Looks like a bear, I think I counted 48 screws, whitch I'
m guessing are all machined screws. Also need to take off the traveler. I removed the 6 nuts from each side of the main traveler mount, but no movement, which leads me to beleive the remaining traveler bolts go through the hatch cover.
Has anyone tried this project? Looks like it will invlove messing with the headliner beyond just opening up the zippers, which I hate to do.
Thanks
Kevin

Ericsean

Member III
Sea Hood

Let me be the first to point out if I looked at new posts, I would have seen the Sea hood discussion which answered some of my questions, but I'm still concerned about the headliner.

dwigle

Member III
Yup, the traveler is attached to the hood and they have to come off as a unit. The nuts for the hood are barely reachable with long arms, and you may have to detach part if the headliner at the seam, but it can be done with little damage. It is a pain to reseal though.

I had mine off to change to a Harken traveler which I have really enjoyed.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 # 8
Pt Richmond, CA

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Don, how do you "reseal" the seam as mentioned in your post? Can it be done without taking down the headliner?

Frank

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
No you do not have to remove the sea hood to remove the traveler IF you make a tool for the job like I did in this thread. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8359 Its easy to do, or if I can find it, I'd be happy to send it to anyone that can use it, provided they pay shipping and return it to me.

The sea hood is actually secured with "wood thread" style screws and not machine thread. These damned things leaked on my boat. They actually penetrate into the interior. They SHOULD have been blind holes..... My sea hood has required recaulking every two years or so. Scrape out the seam, recaulk and its good for a while.

RT