• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Air Conditioner install

spencer

Member II
In the next week or so I am going to start installing an air conditioner under the vee berth in my e-38 1985. As i will be drilling 2 holes thru the hull one in the stern near the engine cooling water intake for the a/c intake water and one in the bow under the vee berth above the water lline for the outflow, does anyone know if the hull in these two areas is solid fiberglass or cored fiber glass? It will make a difference wether I will have to over size the holes then epoxy them back up and redrill the correct size holes or just drill the correct size whole. Not too worried about the below waterlline whole but don''t want to screw up the gelcoat above the waterline. Bill spencer

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Doesn't your boat have an inlet under the galley sink for salt water washing? You could tee off of that with a Y valve and avoid drilling a hole for the cooling water.

I have air conditioning in my boat and it is installed in the salon with ducting running to the cabin. I would highly recommend this setup as you will not want to sleep in the V-berth with the AC running right under you. There should be room under the stb settee with good access to run ducting up to the salon and forward to the V-berth.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I second the notion of using the seawater inlet in the galley as the water source, and then using the galley drain for the outflow. Personally I would go to great lengths to avoid adding extra holes in the hull.

If you are determined, however, the entire hull is solid laminate, with no core anywhere.

spencer

Member II
thanks. I will look into the no new holes in the hull idea. As to putting the ac unit under the starboard setee, I cant do that as that is where the watertank is located. Appreciate the info. I will be laying every thing out this weekend.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Under the V-berth

We have an E-32 III and the AC is installed under the v-berth. It's a Webasto and,yes there is some noise, but it's not that loud when everything is buttoned up. There was a different AC installed there by a previous owner but it had to be replaced. The water intake is under one of the seats in the settee along with the filter. Again, installed by the PO.

CSMcKillip

Have you bought a unit yet, I would suggest a 16,000 btu as I installed ours last year on our 33. I put the unit under the v-birth and we have no noise what so ever. If you intall the unit on top of a plywood base and install rubber gromits that are brtween the ply and the hull, put a good bead of caulk and attach with shallow screws this makes a great base to have the unit installed on and adzorbs the vibration to the hull from the unit. Our unit came setup in a metal base and it also has gromits that hold the compressor off of the mounting plate.

I then ran the supply from the unit to 4 different places on the boat, One to the port head, small 1" hose, a 3inch duct to port bulkhead that then runs into a stainless plentuim box and up the bulkhead 2.5 ft and back out into the forward v-birth. the 2 other supplies are both 4" and run on the starboard side threw the dry locker at the base of the cabinet and one emties into the main cabin on the bulkhead and has a teak cover, this is also where I installed the thermostat, and the other runs thru the starboard storage area behind the setee and supplies the air under the nav station and blows into the rear v-birth.

I do have the water supply that runs from the head fresh water supply and is on a 2 way valve, this is also where the head sink drains, so to winterize the a/c I just flip the swith and can fill the head and the ac with winterfreeze, super simple and no need for another hole. The output from the a/c is different, its a solid stream of water just like the moter outlet it is almost always running water, ours is right above the water line on the starboard forward part of the hull. Champher the hole you drill and the glass will not craze or spider over time.

It was a great investment. Let me know if you need any more information. I did search for several months before buying ours, Wabestco was the best in my eyes for the price and warentee

spencer

Member II
sounds a little like what I am doing. This weekend my son and I installed the unit on a wood base on the three isolators in the previous location of the forward water tank. Took that out about two weeks ago. Never used it as when full it thru the boat all out of ballance. Put the thru hull in take in the next compartment aft along with the pump and strainer. Got luck on the install. both The a/c unit and the strainer and pump etc. took 2 days. Left to do is the duct work and the electrical hook up. Expect to be complete in 2 more full days.
I am installing a Ocean Breeze 16700btu unit. So far their advice has been super. My son had used one of their units on a power boat a he bought about 5 years ago. He was very satisfied.
Once in the water i will see how it goes for me.

spencer

Member II
well it took two week ends for my son and I to install the a/c unit. Am now in the water and everything works great. Although I must say with the poor weather we are having here in Ohio I have been using the heat and not the a/c .
We did install the unit under the forward vee berth after removing the forward water tank which I never used as it seemed to create an un-balance while under sail when full.
Did do the new thru hull for the intake in the bow area with the out flow about two feet forward. on the starboard s;ide. The intake is directly amidshipes in that area. So far everthing works great. Had a spare 110 volt fuse available at 30 amp for power.
It took my son and I two week ends, going at it 10 hours a day to do the install.Sure going to feel good if and when warmer weather ever gets here. So far the weather has been rainy and 10-20 degrees below normal. Running in the 40"s. But slept up on the boat the last 3 nites warm and toasty.