• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Headsail - SF Bay

ccorcoran

Member II
Are there any E34 owners out there in the SF bay area? Wehave a 1987 E34 with a new main and the roller furling jig (approx 95%) is soon to be replaced. We mostly cruise, however, I am an avid participant in the local Benicia Thursday night beer can races. Coming from SoCal, I'd opt for a 135 - 155. However, here in the SF Bay area, that's way more sail than the E34 seems to like. What would any of you suggest? I'm thinking a nice, low cut, roller furling 105 - 110 for all around use. Does anyone have feedback or suggestions for the SF bay?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
In order to maximize your upwind performance when racing, I suggest a headsail at or just under 100%, so that it will fill up the foretriangle, but sheet INSIDE the shrouds. This will help your pointing greatly compared to a 110% (or whatever) which will have to come around outside and against the shrouds when sheeted in. That represents a significant increase in the sheeting angle (compared to directly to the fwd. end of the track, inside), which takes away from pointing ability. Properly designed, the leech of this headsail will just touch the forward edge of the spreaders when trimmed in for beating. It should have 1 full length batten at the top, and 3 standard battens diividing the leech down to the clew. If the sail will go on a furler, and racing is important, then go with the new furling battens. That way you will have leech support AND be able to furl the sail!!

Seth Morrell
Doyle Sails Chicago