• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-III - some questions

mggilmore

Member II
I'm a realtively new owner of a 1987 Ericson 32 and I have a few questions I need help with.
- Keel bolts, are all of them visible thru bilge openings in cabin sole or is there one that does not have access forward of the mast ?
- Mast/Rigging - I'm not accustomed to the T-ball rigging connection to the mast. It looks like this leaves the mast with large openings that lets water in below each spreader. Are these holes normally covered with something ?
- Universal M25 engine - are there engine zincs? they are not mentioned in the manual, if there are zincs, where are they located?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mike

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Mike - No covering on the T-ball terminals. I think most of the water comes in at the mast head, though. ;)

There is a zinc in the heat exchanger. There have been threads discussing it if you search on it.

In 1987 Universal was building M-25XP engines. It is similar to, but quite different than the M-25. You want to make sure you know which one you have as most of the parts are different. The M-25 is rated 21 hp while the M-25XP is 23 hp.

I can't help with keel bolts on the 32-III.

Akavishon

Member III
There is a keel bolt in the bilge section between the mast and the aft wall of the head. On my E32, it's accessible via a ~1.5" diameter access hole drilled through the mast base plate, just an inch or two forward of the mast. I remember seeing a photo in some older posting here, but can't find it now.

The T-ball terminals are a huge PITA, along with the mast head openings they admit quite a bit of rain down the mast, esp. when it's rainy/windy. Most of the water drains down to the sump, but some of it spills over the mast step and soaks the sole. Very annoying.

Zoran

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
There are rubber plugs that fill the holes for the T-ball fittings. They also keep them from rattling around with loose lee shrouds. I think I bought mine at Rigrite a few years back. I am running out right now and will try to find them later for you.

Back now. Could not find them on Rigrite and their customer service is lousy. I found them at a place called Shumway Marine. No idea who they are. Here is a link. About halfway down the page are t-ball plugs. Not sure they are the correct size as these are for a Sonar.

http://www.shumwaymarine.com/sonar/sonarparts.shtml

7425.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"T" retention

FWIW, the factory setup for the check stays on our boat, same T terminal and probably about the same Kenyon spar, was to place a small piece of anodized alum. plate, about 1/2" X 2" across the opening right on top of the T once it is in place. Then they put a pop rivet in each end of that little "keeper."
Worked fine, as far as I could tell.
When the re-rig was done in '02 the rigger only had to drill out one rivet and rotate the plate to let the old T turn and exit and then to insert the new T.

FYI...

Regards,
Loren

mggilmore

Member II
Tom and Zoran,
Thanks for the info, I haven't been all the way to the top of the mast yet, sounds like there is an opening up there too?
Mike

mggilmore

Member II
Tom, thanks for the heads up on the engine model name, I didn't realize the difference. I looked it up and I have the M25XP. I had already found the zinc on the heat exchanger but didn't know if there were any on the engine block somewhere.
Mike

mggilmore

Member II
Tim and AleksT,
Thanks for the info on the plugs. Do you have the plugs? Do they make a big difference or is there still a good but of water coming from the mast head?
Thanks
Mike

mggilmore

Member II
Zoran,
I didn't notice such an access on my boat but next time there I will need to look a little closer. Thanks for the info on the forward keel bolt.
Mike

AleksT

Member III
The plugs are not a watertight seal but would probably help a little. They are there to make doubly sure that the t does not jump out. (On standing rigging they are probably not super critical if your rig is tuned right) They are more important on running backs and check stays which are alternately tightened and loosened.
And no I do not have any, I buy them on an as needed basis.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that wind-driven rain will enter your spar around the sheaves, spreader roots, and line exits. We find that we have less water down the inside of the spar when there is rain and little wind. More wind to drive the rain drops, more water intrusion.

I have an M25XP, and have changed two zinc's in the heat exchanger over a 15 year period, but then we are in fresh water... No zinc's that I know of in the block -- that's only recirculated coolant in there anyway.
That lone zinc is on the bottom of the heat exchanger and is a PITA to change, too.
:rolleyes:
If your boat did not come with the Universal Parts manual and separate engine specs/repair manual, you might want to acquire these from a dealer. We did this right after we bought our boat used, and refer to it often. You will find that Universal makes quite a profit on those manuals, too!

Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I have a PDF file of Universal M-25/M25XP parts list which I will send to Sean to put in the resource section.

I also have a Kubota service/parts list in three parts for several Kubota engine blocks that correspond to Universal engines. They refer to them as "70 mm stroke series" engines. These include:

Engine Block
5411/M-15 Z-500
M-18 Z-600
5421/M-25 D-850
M-25xp D-950
M-35 V-1200

I do not know how close these are to our engines, but, at least, they are very similar. I also don't know if Sean would want to put Kubota info on the site, but I will ask him.

In the mean time I can email them to you if you have a real need. Send me an email with what you need.

trmetzger@earthlink.net

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Tom,

I would like to get that Kubota service/parts list that covers the M18/Z600 engine. I think you can send me an email via the Forum.

Thanks!

mggilmore

Member II
Excellent ! The Service manual is exactly what I needed. This is so much more detailed than the owners manual.

I have to tell you all, this is an awesome site. The number of helpful and knowledgeable people that use this site is really impressive. I was already so pleased to finally be back into sailing and to own an Ericson but to have a site like this is icing on the cake. Thanks !:egrin: