• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Cabin Door Escutcheon

dt222

Member III
Hi all,

I'm refinishing the cabin door (the one into the head) and am looking to replace the doorknob escutcheons. Any suggestions as to where to look for them?

Thanks for any assistance.

Don

Attachments

• Knob.jpg
    Knob.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 125

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I have not embarked on this quest myself but I suspect you will drive yourself crazy looking for piecemeal replacements for 30-40 year-old hardware.

If the rest of the mechanism is OK I would suggest taking the escutcheons to a plater who can tumble and refinish them as good as new.

Otherwise I'd guess there is a somewhat similar complete replacement that will do the job but it will likely require a new set of holes in the door.

dt222

Member III
Thanks for the suggestion. I really don't want to put any more holes in the door, and most of the new latch sets have a fairly large mortise that looks to be larger than the side rail of the door itself. The plating is not so much of an issue as the fact that they are a bit banged up and collapsed. I had thought of just going to a machine shop and have them cut/ground from solid brass stock and then have those plated, but have no idea how much $ that would cost.

Don

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Don,

You could try looking at hardware for wooden screen doors. I have not looked specifically with that in mind but as I remember the latch looks similar.

Glyn Judson

Vintage door hardware, where to find it.

Don, That's the same door hardware I have on our boat and it was/is made by Perko. Visit their web site and look around for your lockset or a more modern Perko replacement for yours. If all else fails, call them and speak to a tech rep and ask for help finding your exact replacement. I'm sure you'll have success. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Here is a photo of a Stanley screen door lockset. The Perko stuff might be better quality.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 110