• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Fuel Fill- Where to locate

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I am debating where to install the fuel fill. I am currently thinking of using a 12 gallon tank under the cockpit (I have a cutout with an outboard but want to keep the fuel tank out of the cockpit). The easiest location from an installation standpoint would be on the cockpit sole where it was previously, but this presents some obvious problems like too much water ingress potential, fumes where I don't want them, spills underfoot, etc.

Where do you E27 owners have your fuel fill located? Are you happy with it or not? If you could change it where would you put it? And are there other fuel tank locations/configurations I am not thinking of (I could probably get by with a 6-8 gallon tank if needed).

Thanks,

Doug

Waiehu

Port Cockpit Lazarette

Aloha Doug,

I run a 6 gal in port lazarette with small hole in cutout splash well for fuel line on a 9.9 honda. 1975 E 27 Hull 277. Has worked for years without issue for me. Would cut hole as high/dry and small as possible if there is not one there already.

Steve

Capt. Max

Member II
I also have the outboard. My fuel tank is mounted where the inboard engine would be. The filler is on the port side behind the winch.
It works for me.

Glyn Judson

Fuel to the outboard.

All, I too had an outboard on our 1979 E25+ fed from the 20 or 25 (?) gallon, factory installed tank located directly beneath the cockpit sole. I led the fuel line through the starboard transom directly to the engine but kept the priming bulb protected from the elements inside the boat. That is to say that it was located on the fuel line between the tank and the transom, very close to the transom itself to be specific. I installed a white plastic deck plate to the vertical of the starboard seat just forward of the transom which allowed complete access to the bulb with one hand. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina Del Rey CA

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the responses. I was a little unclear, I think. I meant where is the fuel tank fill, rather than the hose that would run to the outboard. I will be putting that through the stern well using a bulkhead adaptor. So now I have to figure out where the fuel tank fill would go. I have several options. The area behind the winch on top of the cockpit as Capt. Max said, the cockpit sole (where it was and not preferred), the little flat spot outside the cockpit behind the winches, or the aft part of the sidedeck. I am thinking the little flat spot behind the winch pad would be best.

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks for the responses. I was a little unclear, I think. I meant where is the fuel tank fill, rather than the hose that would run to the outboard. I will be putting that through the stern well using a bulkhead adaptor. So now I have to figure out where the fuel tank fill would go. I have several options. The area behind the winch on top of the cockpit as Capt. Max said, the cockpit sole (where it was and not preferred), the little flat spot outside the cockpit behind the winches, or the aft part of the sidedeck. I am thinking the little flat spot behind the winch pad would be best.

Doug

One caution - be sure that it is easy to put a rag or paper towel around the fill to catch any fuel that burps out when running the nozzle. Some boats have the fill plate so far outboard that it is way too easy to have a fuel spill over the side.
Loren

Dan Morehouse

Member III
My fuel filler cap is located on the outside of the coaming, a semi-vertical surface. I don't worry about it collecting water. Have you considered somewhere besides a horizontal surface?

I actually don't like it being outside the cockpit, for the reason Loren mentioned. It's easy to stick a fuel pump nozzle into, but difficult to catch any spill from. Plus, when hanging a fill hose down from a fixed pier to fuel with, I felt like a trapeze artist hanging over the rail trying to hold the hose and a handful of paper towels against the filler pipe. I'm going to relocate it to the inside of the coaming, where I can sit down while fueling, and be able to better contain/clean up any spills. Maybe there's a vertical surface on yours that would work, too.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"