• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GPS question

RayS

Member I
Does anyone know if there is a GPS with a readout that just gives the Lat/Lon in fairly big numbers, say 1/4 to 3/8 inches high? I have been using an antique Garmin 50 that did that but "it's dead Jim" and Garmin won't service it. I am used to sailing the way I am used to sailing and do not want to change or spend a lot of money for fancy gimcrackery to gawk at instead of enjoying the water.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a good one

http://www.furunousa.com/products/p...category=Products+:+NavNet+3D+:+GPS+Receivers

Furuno GP33.

You might want to consider commercial quality gear from Furuno. Their US headquarters is a few miles from my house and they actually answer their phone.
:cool:
Check out the video on their site for this dedicated GPS.
http://www.furunousa.com/LearningCenter/Product-Guided-Tour-Videos.aspx

I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer.
I can assure you that the display on my 1715 model radar is very bright and readable even with bifocals, from some distance away.

Loren

Edit: add Furuno display image from their manual.

Attachments

• Furuno GP 33.jpg
    Furuno GP 33.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

aquavit

Member II
I have a Standard Horizon CP180i that I still have in my living room. I think that you can set a display page to give just coordinates if that is what you want to see. I will test it tonight and let you know. They are dirt cheap right now since there is a "new and improved" version coming that will replace it.

Glenn (Aquavit)

paul culver

Member III
If you're only interested in lat/lon you can get that with the lowest priced Garmin Nuvi (about $100). Tapping on the screen's image of "your car" will bring up your lat/lon. However, the text is more like 1/8".

Paul
E29 "Bear"

aquavit

Member II
RayS

I tested my CP180i. You can display lat / lon with no map but there are other data fields present on the screen and I don't think you can get rid of them. The result is lat / lon data too small for your requirements. The cheap solution rarely works.

Glenn (Aquavit)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I tested my CP180i. You can display lat / lon with no map but there are other data fields present on the screen and I don't think you can get rid of them.Glenn (Aquavit)

If the CP180i is like my old CP160 you can display any number of items between 1 & 6. IIRC, you just move the toggle left or right to change the number. As the number of items goes down the font gets bigger to fill the screen.

aquavit

Member II
Tom;

It is possible that it will work but I couldn't get it to display lat / lon only on any page. But like you said, you can reduce the quantity of items being displayed and their size does increase. It may be my lack of experience with the unit so far. I have to machine the mount plate for it today at the shop so I may play with it again later tonight. Maybe I will get the manual out!

Glenn (Aquavit)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Glenn - You are correct. No lat & lon on the 'Data' page. The only way to get the lat & lon larger than minimum text size is on the 'Navigate' page where you have other data and a compass.

I'm 5 months and 1500 miles away from my boat so my memory was off a little. Sorry about that.

E33MikeOx

Member II
You don't necessarily need a "GPS Unit" to display latitude and longitude. I can call up Lat & Lon on any of the multifunction displays on my Nexus (Com-Nav) instrument system. I think that is a fairly common feature of network type instrument systems, chart plotters and some radar displays. GPS input is, or course, required. My system uses a self contained GPS antenna/receiver about the size and shape of a hockey puck. My VHS radio is also connected to the instrument network - the radio display shows Lat and Lon (& transmitted when the "distress" button is pushed).

Mike Oxborrow
E-33 JP Foolish, hull #25

Matey

Member III
Not intended as a hijack .. but for my basic lat / lon needs I've been very happy with my iphone :nerd: I've been using it for position, AIS, tides / currents and sailflow wind data both cruising and racing without a glitch since Thanksgiving. The AIS has been spot on, both on the Bay and out to 6 - 8 miles. The position numbers might be a bit small though. The one pictured measures 3/16"

I'm going to look hard at an ipad with iNavX & waterproof case in lieu of a plotter and a handheld gps + iphone as backup(s). But all that might be better served over here http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=9138&highlight=ipad

This all said, I'm pretty old skool in my navigation as well. I plot my position every hour on a paper chart when offshore. I don't have a good place for big instruments in my cockpit and am interested in techie items that have more than one use

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 1 002.jpg
    1 002.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 1 003.jpg
    1 003.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 1 004.jpg
    1 004.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 67