• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mass fish death fouls King Harbor

Mikebat

Member III
Didja see this?

Millions of dead fish at King Harbor in Redondo Beach

Millions of sardines, anchovies and mackerels died overnight in King Harbor. The sea lions and sea birds are gorging themselves. Cleanup is estimate to cost $100,000.

Yuck! Looks like it stinks pretty bad, too.

Attachments

• kingharbor1.jpg
    kingharbor1.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 77
  • kingharbor2.jpg
    kingharbor2.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 77

windjunkee

Member III
Lucky for us it was on the other side of the harbor. No dead fish around my marina.:egrin:

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Man, that's a shame.

Santa Cruz Harbor used to get big sardine or anchovy kills. I heard it was because there wasn't enough oxygen to support so many fish. The harbor now uses aerators that look like giant milkshake mixers without the cup. Seems to work.

When the aerators are running the joke is they are making anchovy smoothies :).

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Something like that, not as bad, happened about a year or so ago in the Ventura Keys area down here. All the fish get into a confined area and deplete the oxygen in the water.

I've seen thousands of sardines/anchovies swimming in my marina in Channel Islands Harbor. One evening it sounded like it was raining, so I went up to take a look and it was thousands of fish flipping around.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Mark et al,

I have seen our harbor when the sardines were jumpin', too. The sea lions were numerous and gorging themselves. The sardines would jump onto the docks and even slam into the side of the hull of our boat. I think they were being chased around down there. I always thought it was the case that those rascals, the sea lions, herded them into the harbor where the fish would be easy pickins.

I wonder if that happened down at King Harbor, but on an even bigger scale?

upnorthfrank

Member II
Are the fish depleting the oxygen or is it agricultural runoff or other pollution?!?
At least there's plenty of them. When I lived in Oxnard we used to go hit the grunnion when they would hit the beach to spawn. The grunnion are runnion!!!

Like smelt, very tasty!!! Used to get those on Superior too but the population has seemed to decline over the years, don't know if it's still worth wading in a 34 degree river w/ buckets etc...

This is the time of year for these types of fish to be falling in love w/ each other. Maybe they yard up for a bit of group babymaking, get all worked up & end up sucking all the air out of the water, all for a piece of tail:p