• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Questions wiring in marine stereo

captrick

Member I
I am wiring in a new marine stereo, Sony CDX-M10 (boat did not previously have one) to an '87 32-2. I have a couple of questions:

1. The primary power wire will obviously go the the switch on the DC panel. The secondary power (for the stereo memory) needs to have constant power. Where is the best place to connect this lead? Direct to a battery + terminal or to where the battery + comes into the DC panel?

2. The ground wire from the stereo is only about 12" long and will need to be extended. Where is the primary ground in the boat -or- where is the best location to groud; on the AC or DC panel some where?

Thanks in advance for the help. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Grounds and Hot things....

There should be a ground buss bar behind your panel for all the DC grounds.
Opinions vary on whether it's ever a good idea to have additional direct connections to the battery +.
If you do, be sure to fuse that wire within a foot of the battery terminal, and remember that it will not be disconnected by the master switch or breaker (i.e. that circuit will be hot all the time).

Regards,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The only reason to connect that wire these days is for the clock function. Most newer units will retain the custom settings in NV memory. Try using the stereo with that connected to the switched + or even without it altogether.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I have a Sony as well (different model) that requires the continuous feed for the memory - needs it to remember the station settings for the XM radio. The current draw is tiny tiny tiny. I ran a wire down and connected it to the positive bus on the battery switch. Its fused.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It is easiest simplest and best to run all the wires to the panel. you are running one wire there so 3 is the same work. Keep them harnessed together and run all wires in a common route (for any other additions) as much as possible. also it is best to use a common wire color for power and grounds... Typically red is hot all the time, black is a keyed (or switched)hot, and DC ground is either brown or white, AC ground is green or bare copper. Put the ground on the ground buss and the power wires to opposite sides of the same breaker (add an in-line fuse to the hot all the time wire). Then when it takes a dump you have a single place to start. instead of trying to remember where it all ran and deciphering spaghetti. Edd:egrin: