• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Saltwater boat blisters when moved to freshwater

DavidWms

Member II
In a previous thread, there was discussion that when a saltwater boat is moved to fresh water, Tim Reilley said that osmotic blisters can appear and you will not find them for a while. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=9309

I'm looking at a saltwater boat (being surveyed this week) with a few small blisters just below the water line that C.O. says have been there but with no change for several years. He said the boat was barrier coated prior to his purchase 10 years ago and the bottom was painted last year. Not sure if I understand the processes, but would the move to fresh water, in effect, encourage these blisters to grow or reveal additional blisters that are not current visible? Even if stable so far, would you recommend repairing the blisters before it is put in fresh water?

A related issue is whether a fresh bottom paint job for saltwater is OK fresh water?

Thans for your input. I've read about but never owned a former saltwater boat.

Last edited:

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Source of osmosis problems

There's obviously history regarding this and it must be happening at the molecular level-salt/ chlorides retard the process?
I've just been thru the Barrier Coat process and had encountered not more then 30 - 40 relatively small blisters in total, perhaps better described as pimples! There was also older evidence of some blister repairs having been poorly done by the P.O., all within 8 inches of the waterline. Appearance was that they had been crudely dug out and filled with some quick set product, 5 Minute Epoxy perhaps, or the hull was too wet when it was done. Once encountered when the hull was being sanded it took little effort to chip the material out.
I would expect your Surveyor is going to have recommendations and along with that the repair consideration should have an implication in your final pricing negotiations.
Where anti-fouling is concerned, I'd expect the only real difference is what you'll encounter more-so in fresh water, that being slime type fouling. There are bottom paint products that have constituents leaning more towards control of slime.
I would lean towards repairing the blisters, if there's a drying out opportunity (several months), take advantage of that and do the repairs while the hull is as dry as possible.

DavidWms

Member II
If they are stable and remain so, then I'm not really concerned about it. And if they are minor and can be addressed without much difficulty (which sounds like what you experienced), great. I am, so to speak, "at sea" on what, if any, changes can be expected once in fresh water. I expect the surveyor will have good insight on that. Wish me luck. In general, the boat seems to be in good shape for its age.