• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34-T East Coast Coastal Cruising Questions

sv_naidia

Member II
Hello,

I am new to the site and am a former owner of an E30. Since then, I've owned, sailed and lived aboard a Columbia 50, Comar 43 and Baltic 42DP.

I am considering a E34T for an East Coast cruiser... Spending summers in New England and winters as far south as the Bahamas and places in between. Knowing the E34T was an early IOR design, that doesn't scare me in that I love performance boats. With that being said, I would welcome input from current or past E34T owners and your thoughts on this model from all aspects to cabin comforts, sailing qualities and boat construction, etc. I do most of my sailing single or short handed and usually have no more than 5 people on the boat so the 34 seems like a good size and a good price point. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

sv_naidia

Member II
Loren,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting indeed. You, Seth and others have made some very good points. Getting the big sails down before the wind gets to heavy is the key. I am eager to get other people's input as well.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Nice, pretty little boat

The 34T is a pretty good choice for a budget cruiser. The interior is well laid out for offshore sailing in that it has usable seaberths (many boats today are better suited to sleeping at anchor, but not at sea).

It is not super light, so cruising gear and stores will not be as high a percentage of total weight, which is also good for your purposes.

This means performance will not be hurt too much by the extra weight as much as it might be in a lighter displacement boat. When offshore, I would be vigilant about keeping weight out of the ends to keep pitching to a minimum in a seaway, but this should be old hat for you.

This is a great upwind boat by any measure, and while like any IOR type is a handful downwind when carrying a kite in heavy air, it is a pussycat if you don't carry too much sail-so for cruising you have nothing to worry about. If you had a DP42 you know what this is about-very similar behaviour.

I have a lot of miles in Columbia 50's, and that boat can be hard to steer straight reaching and running in any real breeze (just seems to wander around a lot)-I think the 34T will behave much better-again, similar to the DP 42..

Things to watch out for are corroded exhaust parts (like most old Ericsons), and the structural metal in the main cabin which ties in the chainplates/rig loads to the keel. These can get corroded and need replacement, so a good survey is important.

With your list of previous boats you are not new to all this.

If you wanted something on the cheap you could do much worse-just be sure to check for corrosion in the "Jesus parts"..

Enjoy!

S

sv_naidia

Member II
Seth,

Thank you for your quick and very detailed reply. Yes, I agree that is is a good layout for cruising and having sea berthing options is definitely a plus which many of the floating condos of late lack.

Very good point about keeping the stuff away from the ends and in a lower and closer to the cg is key not to mention more accessible. I was spoiled on the 42DP with all the storage but from what I can tell, the E34-T doesn't suffer in that category either.

Like you stated very well, cruising means cruising and carrying less sail and staying off the wind a bit downwind should turn her into a real pussycat; it sure did on the Baltic.

My Columbia had a skeg added and the rudder was moved forward a bit so I didn't experience the wandering tendencies on my boat as I did on some other stock C50's I sailed on. I put lots of miles on her and still think they have great lines.

Thanks for the reminder on the exhaust parts and metal corrosion cautions. Luckily, she had some major work recently in those areas and were commented on during a recent survey. Definitely items that can turn a bargain into a disaster.

There are many "Jesus" parts... which ones specifically are you referring to? What I am looking for currently is a cheaper fun/strong and versatile boat and the E34-T seems to fit that bill. Since the pinched transom is rare and they only made a few, it definitely will be a head turner.

Thanks again,

--Ron

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Nothing special

Other than the 2 items I mentioned, the Jesus parts are the same as any boat: rig, rudder, steering system, keel, engine, electrical, sails, etc.

It is definitely a pretty boat, and a head turner-if a bit short on WL for its' length (but no worse than any IOR type of that vintage).

Let us know what happens!

:egrin:

sv_naidia

Member II
Seth,

Thanks. Yes, the obvious "Jesus" items then. Thought I was missing some "Ericsonisms" that were unique.

A bit short on the WL, yes but a good looker I agree.

Question.... Apparently, there were 2 rig options; a standard and tall rig. Do you have any input good or bad on either?

I'll keep you in the loop.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Rigs

The Std rig made the boat a bit sticky under 10 knots-the boat was much happier with the tall rig...Although if you sail offshore or in a breezy area it is probably OK....if all were equal I would go with the tall rig, but in your case I would let the overall condition, equipment, and price be the more important factors...
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers,
S

sv_naidia

Member II
Seth,

Thanks. Yes, that all makes sense. Like I may have mentioned earlier, part of what makes a great cruiser in my humble opinion is the ability to sail well in light wind. I would agree that given the option with everything else being equal, the tall rig is the way to go.

Cheers,

--Ron