• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Considering a 1989 32-200 Any Advice?

clayton

Member III
1989 32-200

Check for blisters. 1989 seems to be the year for them on several models. Typically more like pimples at the gelcoat/first layer of chopped mat interface. Also check the keel to hull joint at the front end (especially on the deep keel). Might be a good time to drop and rebed the keel and check the bolts (several threads here on doing this). Have the rigging checked - saltwater exposure after 21 years would suggest replacing the standing rigging. It's a great sailing boat, and with everything led to the cockpit easy to handle. Good luck and hopefully welcome!
Clayton
('89 32-200)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
This one has the 4.5 foot keel and had a bottom job three months ago.

The standing rigging is original so it will need a close look.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Update

My wife and I went out on the boat yesterday with the owners.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
We motored out of the marina to the open bay and raised the main. It obviously had not been raised in a quite a while as there was mud daubers nest that fell to the deck as the sail opened.<o:p></o:p>
Raising (and lowering) the sail was difficult as the (Teflon?) sliders seemed like they or the track needs to be lubricated. The main looked pretty good, there was some green algae visible and the eyelets at the tack and clew were slightly corroded.<o:p></o:p>
The headsail was a 150% Genny and the roller furling worked just fine.<o:p></o:p>
Unfortunately the wind completely died down once we got out in the bay so we really didn't get to see her under sail really.<o:p></o:p>
The owner and I went below to talk while my wife and his brother stayed at the helm. While we were below we hit some wake from a passing boat and I noticed that the mast moved back and forth slightly (is this normal)? <o:p></o:p>
The steering was very responsive.<o:p></o:p>
The diesel engine ran fine but they had a hard time restarting her because he said the bilge pump float got stuck and it ran the batteries down. He opened the engine compartment and released the compression release manually while his brother turned the key and she fired right up.<o:p></o:p>
The standing rigging all looked fine, no corrosion or fraying, although the shrouds seemed a little loose and need tightened.

There are some minor cracks in the gell coat.

The onwer said they just did a bottom job three months ago. He said there were some very small blisters on the startboard side but he has never worried about them.

The rubber boot at the base of the mast needs replacing and the owner says he will fix that.
<o:p> </o:p>

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My wife and I went out on the boat yesterday with the owners.

We motored out of the marina to the open bay and raised the main. It obviously had not been raised in a quite a while as there was mud daubers nest that fell to the deck as the sail opened.

Raising (and lowering) the sail was difficult as the (Teflon?) sliders seemed like they or the track needs to be lubricated. The main looked pretty good, there was some green algae visible and the eyelets at the tack and clew were slightly corroded.

The headsail was a 150% Genny and the roller furling worked just fine.
Unfortunately the wind completely died down once we got out in the bay so we really didn't get to see her under sail really.

The owner and I went below to talk while my wife and his brother stayed at the helm. While we were below we hit some wake from a passing boat and I noticed that the mast moved back and forth slightly (is this normal)?

The steering was very responsive.

The diesel engine ran fine but they had a hard time restarting her because he said the bilge pump float got stuck and it ran the batteries down. He opened the engine compartment and released the compression release manually while his brother turned the key and she fired right up.

The standing rigging all looked fine, no corrosion or fraying, although the shrouds seemed a little loose and need tightened.

There are some minor cracks in the gell coat.

The onwer said they just did a bottom job three months ago. He said there were some very small blisters on the startboard side but he has never worried about them.

The rubber boot at the base of the mast needs replacing and the owner says he will fix that.

Those sticking plastic sail slugs will benefit greatly from having the track cleaned up and all sprayed with MacLube.

Mast movement where it comes thru the cabintop might be from a lack of wedges. Since the boot is said to need replacing anyhow, put in new wedges when you take the old boot off. (I had to make new ones a decade ago from some teak scrap.)

If the standing rig is original, it's past time for replacement. Ditto the lifelines. That's true of any boat of that age, especially one in a hot salt water climate.

(Apropos of nothing in particular, when you post here you might want to just type in the text box. If you prefer to use cut-n-paste from another application, use a basic text editor and not MS Office.)

Sounds like good deal, even allowing for some deferred maintenance.

Fair winds,
Loren

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I think we are going to buy this boat. Looking forward to getting to know her and the hours of enjoyment she will bring my family.

Mindscape

Member III
Good stuff

Congrats and welcome aboard! My wife and I love our 32-3, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your new 32-200. Sails safe and great.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Steering Broke

At seatrial today the cable broke on the steering. I was on a close reach and felt tension in the wheel then, bang, no steering.

Luckily the ownwer and his tech were on board so we went into the aft cabin and found the access to the pulleys and wheel.

We mcGivered the cable to the wheel and made it to the port.Any ideas on how to fix the problem? It looks like the end came off the cable.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Sounds like an opportunity to lower the price further. I would wait for the survey then make a lower offer. A steering cable breaking would seem to me to indicate other possible maintenance issues...

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Posted this in a PM:

Suvey still underway when I left this afternoon. So far he found:

There is an exhaust leak
The keel is a wing keel and has some damage (from a hurricane)
Where the keel meets the hull (aft) there is a crack in the fiberglass that needs repaired
There is a diesel leak somewhere, you can smell it
There are a couple spots on the cabin top where there is slight water damage
The rudder is slightly bent
There are a couple small places where water is leaking through the anchor locker
It will be a couple days before I get the survey. Nothing so far says it is a deal breaker.
<!-- / message -->

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Clicked on, they are just labels for clickable url's for masses of thread links over on another boating forum.

LB

Sven

Seglare
Clicked on, they are just labels for clickable url's for masses of thread links over on another boating forum.

LB

Yeah, I thought there was some value added in the CF links but couldn't see any. Guess there wasn't supposed to be any.

-Sven

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
New Owners of Ericson 32-200

After months of looking, negotiating and sleepless nights we finally bought our 32-200 yeatserday!

Glad to be part of the family.

1989 32-200
SV "Easy"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we were shopping we had an offer rejected on a 32-200. Nice layout and a pretty design.
Love the name!
:egrin:

LB

Attachments

• easy_button.jpg
    easy_button.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 75

Blue Chip

Member III
Welcome aboard...we have a 1990 32-200, original owner...sail #913.
Hope you will enjoy yours as much as we do ours. Sails niceley and is very well laid out.

tadslc

Member III
Great to hear that the deal is done!

Hope you decide to keep your boat at Alan's in Niceville, great little marina.