• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Performance tips and a question

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I am a former cust. service/warranty administrator for the Ericson factory.
I ran the factory race program for the Ron Holland 36 & 33, and put together
most of the boats that shipped during 79-82. I am happy to help anyone
looking for sailing tips on all models-especially those. I have 2 items of
interest: 1).I have access to the original rudder posts and tooling and can
provide replacement rudders for most models. 2). I am looking for the small
fwd. non-opening window found on the 1970's-80's model Ericsons. I need 2 of
them-source anyone?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome!

I crew on an E-33 off and on. Great sailing boat.
This particular boat had all the forward ports replaced with Lewmar opening ports, several years ago. It is a great upgrade, FWIW. I am not sure of a source for the originals. Try some searches on this site, under ports or windows.

Welcome to the group!

Loren in Portland, OR

:egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a 1973 E-27 with a lot of play where the rudder post meets the tiller connection. Lots of wear in both up and down as well as right to left. Do I need a whole new rudder and post, what I mean is it all one piece, or can I just order the post from you and attach it to the rudder I now have? What are the parts going for $$ ?

I also have a bit of a prop walk, or wash problem. Especially in reverse. I have a Yanmar Diesel 1GM10 8.3 hp with a two blade prop. Any advice?

Jeff:confused:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Re: Welcome!

Originally posted by Loren Beach
I crew on an E-33 off and on. Great sailing boat.
This particular boat had all the forward ports replaced with Lewmar opening ports, several years ago. It is a great upgrade, FWIW. I am not sure of a source for the originals. Try some searches on this site, under ports or windows.

Welcome to the group!

Loren in Portland, OR

:egrin:

Hi Loren,

I was actually looking for the small fwd. window used on the (older) King designed boats- 27, 29, 32, etc.. But thanks
The 33 is not quite as good all around as the 36, but is a shot in light air. It needs to be sailed FLAT-lots of rail meat and smaller haedsails when the breeze is up.
Best of luck!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Originally posted by Jeff Asbury
I have a 1973 E-27 with a lot of play where the rudder post meets the tiller connection. Lots of wear in both up and down as well as right to left. Do I need a whole new rudder and post, what I mean is it all one piece, or can I just order the post from you and attach it to the rudder I now have? What are the parts going for $$ ?

I also have a bit of a prop walk, or wash problem. Especially in reverse. I have a Yanmar Diesel 1GM10 8.3 hp with a two blade prop. Any advice?

Jeff:confused:
Hi Jeff!
Great questions! You should be able to fix the sideways play by re-drilling the hole for the bolt holding the tiller head to the post, and using a bigger bolt. I am guessing the hole has become elongated, and I am guessing you have already tried tightening the bolt. You should also be able to shim the tiller head up with washers/spacers, and the ideal thing would be to use a PVC ring as one of the spacers (depending on how much shimming you need), and place it at the bottom (closest to the cockpit floor). This will help serve as a bearing as well as a spacer. If things are really bad, you may need a new tiller head-a new post would be a last resort.

These boats DO suffer from prop walk-partly because the engine is offset. It can be improved with a better prop, but it will always have some "walk". The solution, when possible, is to get some momentum in reverse while you have some room to maneuver, then put it in NEUTRAL. This will eliminate the "walk" and allow you to steer in reverse with some precision.

Hope this helps, but if it is not clear let me know!

Seth

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Thank You Seth!

Great answers!, I thought of most of what you are recommending. I will be taking the boat out next month for a survey and I will drill out the hole for the bolt holding the tiller head to the post. I think I have the right prop though. I will try the maneuver you recommend.

Great to have you aboard. What Ericson do you now have?

Thanks again,

Jeff

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Thanks-Sadly, none. Since I am a sailmaker and work in the industry, I would have no time to sail my own boat-I am usually out with customers. If I did own a boat it would likely be an Ericson-probably a mid 70's mid-engine 35!

I just joined the group to share my knowledge of these boats and when get to know the group. If and when you need new sails or recuts, I hope you will keep me in mind, but that is secondary.
Cheers

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Sounds like a great job!

Can you give me a rough quote on a 140-150% roller furling Genny and a Main for a standard rig 1973 E-27? I had mine both completely re stitched but the Main is 30 years old I believe. E-mail me directly at jasbury@packagingcorp.com.

Thanks

Jeff

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am thinking of replacing some of mine with the opeing type due to the heat here - it depends on whether the wholesale price deal I am trying to work comes through.
What are the measurements of your ports, just to make sure mine are compatible?
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

ssth

Racing Ericson 36RH

Seth,

Are you still looking for the forward windows? Let me know if you are because I replaced the two forward ones in my boat and may have kept the hardware but I do not want to look for it if you have already found some.

I am interested in any info that you might have on tuning the 36 for racing.

Thanks,

Steve