• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refrigeration Question

lbertran

Member III
Does anyone know off hand the cubic size of the icebox in a 35-3? I'm in the process of installing a Frigoboat system and realized I ordered an evaporator bin that's too large for my box. I'm trying to negotiate an exchange with the dealer and am away from the boat and don't have my measurements with me. Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fun Times...

Bigger than the one on our Olson, IIRC... but another question to consider is the physical size of the evaporator and the size of the lid opening though which you have to install it and the attached tubing. :rolleyes:

This became quite a little sub-project when I did the install in our ice box. You will learn to think in 3D in ways that either reinforce or mock your ancient GATB scores from your youth! :nerd:

Cheers,
Loren

lbertran

Member III
Evaporator

Thanks, Loren. Got out to the boat on Saturday and took a good look at the ice box dimensions. I found an evaporator horizontal bin, thanks to a post on this site, that will work much better in my application than the one I purchased. I had thought the one I bought was the smallest available but it turns out there are two others that are smaller. I'm still trying to reach the Frigoboat dealer to make the exchange.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Laura, our 35-3 came with an Adler Barbour. The freezer plate was on the port forward side of the box(closest to you when reaching in). It was the size of about 2 half gallon milk jugs. I know this because we would often keep half gallon jugs in there when not using the refrigeration. It made getting things between it and the shelf very tight though. We would need to lift the shelf a little to get larger things by it. I thought about moving it to the side against the stove.

dsc_0081.jpg

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Hi, Tim

Thanks for that great photo. I'll probably spend much of my workday examining it closely :egrin: I think that I agree with you about mounting the evaporator on the stove side. I had thought about placing it farther aft on the motor side but I think it will interfere with the shelf and I don't want to lose the shelves. I picked up my new and smaller evaporator this morning and I'll be out there Saturday starting the installation. By the way, I'm so glad you posted the info about your new sink and faucet install. I'm removing the sink to make installing the compressor in that cabinet easier. So since the sink will be out anyway, I'm going to replace the faucet with one like yours. Not sure about replacing the sink right now but that sounds worth considering too.

Sven

Seglare
Sorry to Hi-Jack ...

But we're placing an order for a Frigoboat right now to get the parts in time for a haulout.

My quick Hi-Jack question is what thermostat did you go with and why ?

Thanks ... then back to your thread :egrin:

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Hi Tim,

The freezer plate was on the port forward side of the box(closest to you when reaching in).

I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at in the picture :)

Is the vertical freezer condenser in a box separated from the rest of the refrigeration space ? I'm having trouble imagining how you'd get "even" cooling in the larger refrigeration box if there is no air flow from the bottom of what I'm guessing is the freezer enclosure in what might otherwise be a spill-over design ?

Thanks,

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hi Tim,

I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at in the picture :)

Is the vertical freezer condenser in a box separated from the rest of the refrigeration space ? I'm having trouble imagining how you'd get "even" cooling in the larger refrigeration box if there is no air flow from the bottom of what I'm guessing is the freezer enclosure in what might otherwise be a spill-over design ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Sven, the dark areas with wood trim are plastic shelves that come out. The dark area under the coldplate is another shelf to keep items out of melting water at the bottom of the box. The same coldplate cools the entire box. The other thing that complicates the photo a little is the VHF antenna that is stored in there on the shelf.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
Choice of Thermostat

Hi, Sven-
We chose the Coastal Digital Thermostat Control. The reason is that several fellow sailors who have installed this system recommended this thermostat as a "must have" for the best system performance. We also got the Smart Speed Controller which gets the most energy efficient performance from compressor run times.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi, Sven-
We chose the Coastal Digital Thermostat Control. The reason is that several fellow sailors who have installed this system recommended this thermostat as a "must have" for the best system performance. We also got the Smart Speed Controller which gets the most energy efficient performance from compressor run times.

Is this anything like the controller that you chose:
http://www.veco-na.com/images/Coastal_MK_II_Digital_Thermostat-Thermometer.pdf

Thanks,
LB

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

I don't think the one they offer has the thermometer (readout). I take that back ... it does have a thermometer readout !

The one offered is http://coastalclimatecontrol.com/Me...CC&Product_Code=CMKII-12&Category_Code=thermo or for twice the price http://coastalclimatecontrol.com/Me...=CCC&Product_Code=E52260&Category_Code=thermo

-Sven

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
So they have changed what they offer and the price has gone up :esad:

I'm assuming you bought your components from Coastal Climate Control which is where the Frigoboat links take you ?

-Sven

lbertran

Member III
Coastal Climate Control

I actually went though a local dealer, Miller's Marine in Chestertown, MD. Coastal sells to dealers and professional installers but not to retail customers. Coastal is closer to me than Miller's so I arranged to pick up the system directly from them after I placed the order through the dealer. The dealer's prices were pretty much the same as Coastal. I've had a very good experience dealing with both Miller's Marine and Coastal. They've been very helpful and didn't hesitate to allow me to exchange, yesterday, an evaporator that I bought in November.I ordered a size that was too big for my ice box.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Laura,

I got an e-mail from coastal where they thanked us for the order but suggested that we instead order from a local distributor swedishmarine.com .

We went ahead and moved the order to them instead and will actually save a few $s in the process. I'm not sure why they have Frigoboat's pages set up to link to "design your system" with order buttons that places the order with a wholesaler. The logic escapes me but we'll get the stuff in time for the haulout so we're happy :)

Thanks for the info,

-Sven