• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fiberglass Treatment Question

ChrisS

Member III
I'm in the process of installing a new rudder. The 32-2 has a small skeg that the upper part of the rudder is cut out to fit.

After dropping the old rudder out of the boat, I decided to prep and paint the concave skeg surface that I have never been able to get to get to since the rudder was always in the way. So I went to chip away globs of bottom paint and a few barnacles, and in doing so, I knocked off a loose chunk of paint and gelcoat, about 1" by 2". This area was the lowest part of the skeg, and I think there was wear where it interfaced with the rudder, wearing away some if the gelcoat and exposing this fiberglass to water.

A little water weeped out, but stopped after a while. Then I sanded a bit for a better look. The fiberglass looked bright. After cleaning it, I touched up the area with a little paint.

Should I remove more paint, peeling this area and hit it with expoxy? This end of the skeg is very chipped up, and it's obvious that there was been water intrusion for some time--paint hasn't adhered wll. The hull is so thick here. No blisters or deformities.

Something to worry about?