• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast height for E-32

InSync

Member II
Tall rig on E-32...definitely need smaller headsail

First of all, thanks to everyone to replied to queries on this thread. Your comments have been very valuable. I have not replied back until this point as we have been out sailing the boat and figuring her out.
Seth, you were bang on the money! We purchased a new main (BIG improvement from the tired dishrag of a Catalina 32 main that was on the boat when we bought it last year) and yup, the boat settles into a nice groove at 10 knots and goes like stink no matter what the point of sail. BUT over 10 knots, or in 10 knots with gusts she quickly becomes overpowered and tries to round up under full sail. And in our sailing area (Pacific Northwest) you get plenty of gusts and puffs as the winds funnel around the islands and over the mountains. You have no choice but to travel down and ease to dump wind or head her up until the gust passes. No snoozing at the helm!
Seth, the measurements for the new North main were as follows: P 37.50 E 13.33 I 42.00 ISP 42.00 J 13.75 SPL 13.75 . You were right in that the boom on this custom rig was lengthened as well. The overall measurement is 14 feet. The headsail that is on the boat right now is in good shape but is really too big to cruise comfortably and I don't plan on racing this boat. I save the wear and tear of racing for OPB's (other people's boats). :) We also have a cruising chute from a friend's Catalina 32 that we plan on using on this boat. Given the mainsail measurements above, do you still recommend a 110% headsail?

InSync

Member II
Tall rig and compression post

BTW, thanks for the comments re compression post issue. Thankfully, we were aware of this failing on the Ericsons and had our eyes open. Although the center post (that also holds the hinge for the head door) has not been "sistered" it does appear to be of much heavier stock than the post adjacent. Also, stainless steel plates have been slipped under both the bottom and top of the post. there were some small cracks in the fibreglass headliner and we marked both ends of those cracks with a pencil when we bought the boat. So far they have not moved. There is a spot on the headliner that follows the support beam that is slightly off colour, as though it was repaired and repainted but the colour match was not quite right. We think that repairs were done in this area in the past. The deck on the cabin top appears sound. No mushiness, no sunken spots. Regardless, we will probably add an extra supporting post in the near future. Call it insurance!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Smaller headsails

I don't know what the size of your genoa is now (LP based you actual dimensions), but a 110% would be close to a 130 on a std rig, so a 110 would be a good all around sail for cruising, but you might find it is still a bit much in breezy conditions.

Ideally you may want to have a 110% for general purpose and an 80-90% sail for windy days, and reef as needed in between...

Good sailing!:egrin: