• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 owners - Where is your propane tank?

adam

Member III
I've decided to replace my ancient/non-functional Keynon pressured alcohol stove, with a modern propane stove.

The one big hurdle left is figuring out where I should mount the propane tank.

So, for those of you with propane on your E29s, I'm curious where your propane tank is.

Thanks,
-A

mggilmore

Member II
I don't know your limitations on your 29 but I'll share my propane setup to spur some thinking. The previous owner changed the design and moved it to the cockpit locker. My propane tank is a scuba style tank (i.e. taller and narrower than a standard propane tank). It mounts laying on it's side in my cockpit bench locker on a rack that is high up and towards the outboard side of the locker (i.e. directly under the cockpit coaming). This is out of the way, doesn't interfere with my use of the locker in any way and I can easily reach in operate the tank valve when I want to use the propane. The downside I see of this design is that it is not in an enclosed locker so I always make sure the tank is shut off when not in use and I closely pay attention whenever I turn the tank on. The surveyor was fine with this setup. Good luck with your project !

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Really?

I don't know your limitations on your 29 but I'll share my propane setup to spur some thinking. The previous owner changed the design and moved it to the cockpit locker. My propane tank is a scuba style tank (i.e. taller and narrower than a standard propane tank). It mounts laying on it's side in my cockpit bench locker on a rack that is high up and towards the outboard side of the locker (i.e. directly under the cockpit coaming). This is out of the way, doesn't interfere with my use of the locker in any way and I can easily reach in operate the tank valve when I want to use the propane. The downside I see of this design is that it is not in an enclosed locker so I always make sure the tank is shut off when not in use and I closely pay attention whenever I turn the tank on. The surveyor was fine with this setup. Good luck with your project !

Oh My. That's the general description of a CNG tank installation. No problem if it is CNG.
If this were really a propane tank, there's not a surveyor or insurer anywhere on the continent that would approve of it.
:confused:
I do not believe that any propane service facility would ever refill such a tank, either.

Loren

Last edited:

mggilmore

Member II
My mistake Loren. Sorry, still getting accoustomed to this new boat. The previous owner used the word propane but the surveyor has it documented as a CNG system. To your point, hopefully it is CNG, but I have some investigating to do. Thanks for the info.

Adam,

On my E25, the 1 (maybe 1.5?, and is approximatively half the size of your average barbecue tank) gallon tank is mounted in the open air, at the end of the cockpit seats, at the stern end. It takes up little room, and doesn't impact this area where the stern swimming cut out is located. The bracket is much like the type found on a small fire extinguisher, and seems to be manufactured for the job. The hose snakes through the cockpit locker, and is very straightforward. Have never used it , but is seems to be well thought out. We sail on Lake Chelan, and so far have simply barbecued at the different camping areas provided.

CamD

Member II
My E29 is a tiller model so it doesn't have a divided cockpit. My propane locker is a wood box with a hinged lid on top that holds two 10 lb tanks and is mounted at the aft end of the cockpit. It provides a nice seat for steering with the tiller reversed. It is vented out the bottom and through the cockpit drain. I run my stove, barbeque, and dickinson heater off of it and love the system--especially that heater during the winter months. If yours is a tiller model and you're interested in seeing pictures let me know and I will try to remember to take them the next time I'm there.

adam

Member III
If yours is a tiller model and you're interested in seeing pictures let me know and I will try to remember to take them the next time I'm there.

I'm back to wavering between propane and alcohol.

But I do have a tiller model, and this is one of the options I was considering. Even if I end up going with alcohol, having a storage box on deck could be useful.

So, when you have a chance I'd love to see some pictures.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm back to wavering between propane and alcohol.

But I do have a tiller model, and this is one of the options I was considering. Even if I end up going with alcohol, having a storage box on deck could be useful.
So, when you have a chance I'd love to see some pictures.

FWIW, we have several boats at the club with a tall LPG cylinder mounted on a stern rail upright. They usually have a sunbrella cover for the tank-and-valve stuff to keep direct sun and rain off.

Plan B might be just to change out the old stove for an Origo non-pressure alcohol range. No remote tank or hoses to worry about. Lots of discussion on this board about this option, and most of us like it a lot.

Loren

thomthod

Member II
propane tank

I have a 71 E 29 and I have a line that runs from Galley to Cockpit storage on port side is where the tank resides.

T

E29
"Blooz Traveler"

sproption

Member II
Propane locker pics

CamD...

I have a tiller E-29 and am getting serious about a conversion with a set up much like you described. I am looking hard a propane heater for the cabin and mounting a 2 10# tanks or one 20#...

Could you provide photos of your arrangement?

Thanks.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Propane rail mount

I recently installed a Force 10 two burner stove with a rail-mounted tank. Here are some pics.

IMG_2996.jpgIMG_2999.jpgIMG_3001.jpgIMG_3002.jpgIMG_3003.jpg

PDX

Member III
I think that tank looks fine on the rail

A common argument you hear against rail mounted propane is that it looks terrible. But to my eye yours looks little different than other rail mounted paraphernalia such as life slings, radar, GPS antennae, dingies, davits, etc. I'm assuming the rail mount bracket is from these guys?

http://www.suremarineservice.com/001-749A.aspx

I can't tell from the photos where your propane hose penetrates the deck, what the fitting looks like, and how the hose will look when all hooked up. If you've gotten that far, and have a photo(s) I would love to see. I'm very interested in doing a similar propane arrangement.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
That's an earlier pic before I drilled through the deck, which ended up being about 4" inboard of the stanchion base (the one where the tank is mounted). There are, in fact, two fittings there: one for the LPG hose, for which I used this, and the other for the solenoid wires, for which I used this. Both the hose as well as the solenoid wires are protected with corrugated hose protector, then use black zip ties to keep them together.

You're right, it's not the most attractive in the world, and I spent much time considering how to go about putting in an LPG system on a boat that never had it. In the end, I decided uglier was better than trying to figure out an in-lazarette solution, botching it (the real fear!), and ending up with a boat in pieces.

Even so, I don't think it looks so bad, especially with all the other stuff that get put back there (there will be more!), and feel even better about it each time I make coffee (or cook/bake!) on my stove and look back there. Yes, that's the exact bracket that I purchased. The bracket comes with the solenoid, switch, and regulator. Just add tank, hose (I had to get 35' of hose), deck fittings, and 12V wires for the solenoid!

A common argument you hear against rail mounted propane is that it looks terrible. But to my eye yours looks little different than other rail mounted paraphernalia such as life slings, radar, GPS antennae, dingies, davits, etc. I'm assuming the rail mount bracket is from these guys?

http://www.suremarineservice.com/001-749A.aspx

I can't tell from the photos where your propane hose penetrates the deck, what the fitting looks like, and how the hose will look when all hooked up. If you've gotten that far, and have a photo(s) I would love to see. I'm very interested in doing a similar propane arrangement.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I did the same thing with the bottle hanging off the back rail after considering every other possible option. It lives under a canvas cover and it doesn't look so bad. Better to be able to sleep at night
with no fear of the big ka-boom.

PDX

Member III
Appreciate the info.

I have a question about UV exposure. Which components are susceptible and will the corrugated hose protector you speak of offer UV protection? Are you going to need to have a canvas outfit fashion some kind of sunbrella cover for the whole thing?

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
My plan is to cover the entire assembly with a sunbrella cover. However, I haven't quite gotten there yet since I just finished installing the whole thing. The corrugated hose protector is probably not the best long-term solution, but it works for the moment and is easy to replace. Would love some thoughts if anyone has them.

Appreciate the info.

I have a question about UV exposure. Which components are susceptible and will the corrugated hose protector you speak of offer UV protection? Are you going to need to have a canvas outfit fashion some kind of sunbrella cover for the whole thing?

Devon

Member I
2 cents, rail mounts for the small boats.

Modified West Marine fender holders, 11lb fiberglass bottles, and home sewn Sunbrella covers. We plan to use some lines with the centers removed to cover the exposed hoses.

Attachments

• propanesytemcrhistmas2011 004.jpg
    propanesytemcrhistmas2011 004.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 272

plorette

My E29 is a tiller model so it doesn't have a divided cockpit. My propane locker is a wood box with a hinged lid on top that holds two 10 lb tanks and is mounted at the aft end of the cockpit. It provides a nice seat for steering with the tiller reversed. It is vented out the bottom and through the cockpit drain. I run my stove, barbeque, and dickinson heater off of it and love the system--especially that heater during the winter months. If yours is a tiller model and you're interested in seeing pictures let me know and I will try to remember to take them the next time I'm there.

I have the same set up on my e29 (1972). The storage box makes a great seat/table and the propane system works well.

plorette

Here is a photo of the propane tank locker on my e29. The cover makes a nice seat/table.

9k=

Attachments

• 67887c2196ef519d070da63c63bf159a.jpeg
    67887c2196ef519d070da63c63bf159a.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 228