• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

wind transponder

stvsem

i'm looking for your opinion regarding a wind speed & direction transducer. i'm considering raymarine ST60, tacktick TO33, a model from farallon or one from nexus (22921-1). i've read some of the threads regarding particular systems. some of you have had great experiences while others have not. thanks for your help.
steve semenick
michigan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The ST60 wind/depth/speed system I installed in '02 is still working fine.
That's a good sign!
Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I had a terrible experience with Simrad IS20, I think I was the beta tester for their gear. Maybe it works now but I wouldn't touch it. Installed a Raymarine ST60+ system instead. Worked great for almost two years then the windvane died. Purchased a new unit and shipped the dead one back under warranty. The new unit quit 4 months later and I reinstalled the "warranty" replacement. I'm going to send in the dead unit for warranty replacement shortly as I expect to replace another this season. Some people have issues with Raymarine windvanes. Google it and you will see. Others they work flawlessly for years. Luck of the draw. RT

lbertran

Member III
Furuno or Garmin

I'm about to purchase new instruments, probably today! After waiting endlessly for Simrad to ship my order, I've canceled it and am looking at Garmin or Furuno. Any feedback from owners of these brands would be appreciated.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
READ THE RAFT UP POSTS BEFORE CHOOSING GARMIN ! I am doing Ray marine and keeping my fingers crossed. It appears that nobody makes a bullet proof unit. As hard as they are to get at and for what they cost you would think it would be different but... Edd

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Laura,
I hate to say I told you so with Simrad but there it is. Been there, done that. Simrad is "all hat and no cowboy" as they say. I have my own issues with Raymarine, I'm not sure I would do it again. I have a Furuno chartplotter and it has been flawless. Locally at least, Furuno is exceptionally well supported. I cannot speak to their instrument products but if they support it like the rest of their stuff it will be much, much better than anyone else.

RT

lbertran

Member III
How About Tack Tick

Tack Tick now has a line of instruments that uses 12v powered displays. This eliminates the issues with the solar batteries in the displays which caused headaches. It would certainly be nice to eliminate the cables from the mast head transducer and depth thru-hulls. Does anyone have any feedback on Tack Tick instruments? Thanks!

lbertran

Member III
Please Ignore Tack Tick Question

We purchased a set of instruments from Furuno. Now on to the installation headaches! Thanks!

stvsem

wind transponder inquiry

thanks for all the responses to my question. i still have more than a month before i make a decision. so, keep the comments coming. right now i have a no-nonsense windex and a hand held wind speed indicator. do they work? yes. were they expensive? no. perhaps, i shouldn't go fixing something that works? looking forward to spring launch. steve

AleksT

Member III
TackTick

The boat I race on uses TackTick system All solar powered. They have had it for several years, not sure exactly how long. It is very dependable and the backlight will last all night just from charging in the sun for a day. Most importantly there are no wires to the displays or mast head unit. One less thing to break in the chain. And if you want to add more displays you just buy one and reinitialize.
The only repair I have ever had to do on a Tacktick system is replace the wind vane (cause a bird sat on it) and this was on a system that was 4 or 5 years old.