• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1988 E34 - Ericson or Pacific Seacraft?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine Trivia notes.... Ericson had a long time agreement with Universal-Westerbeke to install their diesels, and on request would alternatively install a Yanmar.

PSC had a long term deal with Volvo, and I might be surprised to find any other brand of diesel in one of their boats; Volvo was legendary for selling their diesels to builders very very cheap, and then making up the lost profits on their parts (to the dismay of many an owner).

Roger

Member II
A little Ericson engine history, anyone? I’m not familiar with the earliest Ericsons, but by the 70’s most or all models were fitted with the ubiquitous Universal Atomic 4 gas engine. By the late 70’s or early 80’s, they transitioned to Universal diesels. When I started at Ericson in ’83, the diesels had been in use for some time on all models. As many of you know, Universal diesels are a “marinized” version of Kubota tractor engines.

Dick Malnory, engineering & sales manager for Medalist Universal (based in Oshkosh, WI) and a key player in developing the Universal diesels, was a frequent visitor to the factory. Dick was a wealth of knowledge & a great guy. Lots of info on the history of Universal motors at https://everythingaboutboats.org/universal-motor-co/

Ericsons continued to use Universal diesels throughout most of the 80’s, although IIRC the 26 had a small Westerbeke diesel (this was before Westerbeke took over Universal). There was an option to upgrade engine sizes on a couple models, but not to use a different brand. However, in ’88 or ’89 Ericson switched over to Yanmar diesels & continued using them until they shut down in mid-1990.

Of course, many owners have replaced their engines after all these years, so there’s a variety of engine types out there now.

TKBLACK

Member II
Engine Trivia notes.... Ericson had a long time agreement with Universal-Westerbeke to install their diesels, and on request would alternatively install a Yanmar.

PSC had a long term deal with Volvo, and I might be surprised to find any other brand of diesel in one of their boats; Volvo was legendary for selling their diesels to builders very very cheap, and then making up the lost profits on their parts (to the dismay of many an owner).
Hello Loren,
The Volvo Penta has had few parts needing repair, however a new Heat exchanger was needed in 2020 after the original installation in 1993. Mostly we sail, so that makes a difference.
I’m wondering if we need 2 Pacific Northwest Ericson Rendezvous in 2021? One in the south and another in Canada due to restricted travel. Life is too short. We miss the group of informed and enjoyable people!
Karin and Tom with Achates, 1993 PSE 34

Grizz

Grizz
This thread has been both interesting and informative, especially as a member of the 'Olson Red Headed Stepchild' club within the Ericson family.

I sent Loren a PM from within this site in August of 2010, announcing the purchase and included the HIN info in that message: ERY34109G889. Loren replied, informing that our Olson's worked through the Ericson facility 'nose-to-butt' (my words, not his) as his HIN begins with ERY34108.
There was no mention at the time of Pacific Seacraft, that twist in the story not discovered until much later. Loren also didn't divulge what the G889 meant, which has been decrypted in the meantime.

She's powered with a Universal engine, has 'ERY' moulded in as the HIN, all the applicable government tendrils have her logged as a 1989 ERicson vessel, making it easy to stick with "she's an Olson built by Ericson".

Those with sharp eyes will note the sail number [34109] not-coincidentally matches parts of the HIN. She didn't have sail numbers when purchased, US Sailing had no record of her, so I picked numbers that were easy to locate and matched the HIN mould. Ignorance is bliss and boy, was I (still am!) ignorant.

This has been a fun thread to track. Thanks for those who added to the story.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I believe one easy way to distinguish between the Pacific Seacraft boats and the Ericson hulls is the deck form.

I understood that all of the PSC-designed boat have a 'sugar scoop' transom (the 32-333 Regatta, the PSC 350 and PSC 380).
IMG_1284.JPG

I saw this boat (a PSC 350) recently:

and it is very nice.

The part of the boat that touches the water is 34-2, but the upper deck form is Pacific Seacraft 350 (very close, but a few tweaks).
Yanmar engine.

Hello Loren,
The Volvo Penta has had few parts needing repair, however a new Heat exchanger was needed in 2020 after the original installation in 1993. Mostly we sail, so that makes a difference.
I’m wondering if we need 2 Pacific Northwest Ericson Rendezvous in 2021? One in the south and another in Canada due to restricted travel. Life is too short. We miss the group of informed and enjoyable people!
Karin and Tom with Achates, 1993 PSE 34
Yes!